This object is in archive! 

Celestial Mechanics

Diche Bach shared this feedback 17 months ago
Not Enough Votes

There is a mod for SE called "Real Orbits" which seems to function fairly well (or at least it did as of a year or so ago). This suggests that it would be possible for SE (or a sequel) to be adapted so that it modeled two-body simulation of celestial mechanics something like what is done in Kerbal Space Program.

I think the game could be much more coherent, engaging and rich if this sort of functionality could be made available in the vanilla game. It would probably be wise if the functionality could be toggled off and the game played in the standard mode as it exists as of November 2022. This way, people who do not want to play with the complications of orbital mechanics, can still (and always) play the game how it has always been played.

Replies (1)

photo

The only reason I don't have that mod installed currently is because vanilla and modded NPC behaviors (through things like the MES framework) can't compensate for it (or the Space Engineers Orbiter Simulator mod or whatever it's called). I like the idea of stations with minimal thrust for station-keep orbiting certain bodies and that you have to intercept and dock with them while on the move.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file