Ingame Time/Clock

domingo shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

Implement in-game time and clock, that is dependent on 'hours per day setting'.

"UTC"-like of course, not "local time" on planet.

Add scripting API to retrieve it.

Optional: add a way to display current time (with user-supplied offset) on LCD panel without scripts.

Replies (1)

photo

Currently you can engeener such a thing. Build yourself sun clock! Best place to do it is on earth north pole, sun is always avaible there. You could use solar panels to estate time. Bigger the sun clock is better precision. You could do it using just one script, Easy Automation Script can read solar panel output, couple if-s, couple when-s here and there and voila. Althou you might need to build relay system to access time output LCD, and view it manually since there is no way to transfer data via antennas. I think I'm gonna build such thing, could be fun, plus I have idea how to do it. Sort of Big Ben with watchtower clock, yea, doable, thanks for fresh idea.

photo

Of course, you can engineer it around with some (almost) Rube-Goldberg Machine (as you have to do with many things in this game - to use overly complicated, unreliable contraptions to do simple tasks that have simple solutions in real life).

But IRL we do not have sun clocks everywhere to check what time it is. Every computer uses standard crystal oscillation to measure time.

You synchronize only from time to time.

photo

Yea, it is so common in real life. But sun clock wouldn't require synchronization from time to time. You could place such construction on north than use script to fill beacon name with calculated from solars output whitch would be current time and you would have engineered game time always avaible on HUD within 50km. Need is mother of all inventions my friend :-). Things built within limitations, despite of them have higher value. Currently I'm occupied with other projects so watchtower clok will have to wait.

photo

It's easier to use camera raycast. MyDetectedEntityInfo has field TimeStamp that contains milliseconds since the game was loaded.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file