This object is in archive! 

Need insight on the subgrid inertia dilemma

33iRobot33 shared this feedback 22 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Hi, im currently building a medium sized battleship and i want to add a few subgrids, like custom weapon turrets and a small mechanism to hide them.

About a year ago i built a small ship that had an insane amount of movable parts and mechanisms and thus when i finished it i realized that it would barely move. I deleted all subgrids and tried again and it worked just fine. So i came to the conclusion that subgrids somehow negatively impact the inertia of a ship, resulting in a much higher amount of gyroscopes needed. I can't remember if the amount of thrusters is also influenced.

Does anybody have some more insight on that topic? I would really want to know what the details are behind this mechanic. I don't want to have a déjà-vu after i finished this new ship because i want it to be agile since it isn't a huge battlecruiser. Can i safely add custom weapon turrets without influencing the agility or will even thise impact it?

Replies (1)

photo

I suggested a tool that would highlight Forces from the info panel that could show all forces in the grid from thrust to push to collisions but that never got enough votes as not many people seen it. Lots of times it came to rotor torque, it takes so much tweaking to make subgrids behave. Maybe one day we can find forces at a glance.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file