This object is in archive! 

Option to enable wheels drifting to prevent flipping the vehicle when going sideways.

Gabriel S shared this feedback 21 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Sorry if this is hard to read.

Currently when moving sideways on wheels or taking a sharp turn at high speeds, if the friction is high enough, usually above 30%, the grid will usually flip into the air uncontrollably. I suggest that there should be an option in the wheel settings that can be toggled that would essentially automatically turn down the friction, allowing cars and rovers to not immediately flip over when taking a turn at a higher speed. This could help greatly for racing vehicles as it would allow for an engineer to not have to build the center of mass to be as low as possible to reduce the chances of flipping.

Replies (2)

photo

But... building the center of mass as low as possible to prevent flipping is an engineering problem... and you're playing Space Engineers.

It seems that you're ok with reduced cornering speed (via drifting), so if you just want your cars not to flip I recommend making fewer wheels turn (front only for racing things), and also consider making them turn less.

The idea of variable friction based on speed is interesting though. Maybe directional friction would be another answer. Either way, you get my vote. More options are always nice.

photo

One thing that is very often overlooked is speed. People drive at 50m/s and don't realize that it's 180km/h. What can end fatally on an off-road track.

photo
photo

That's what the friction setting is for. If you're flipping your vehicle, you're either going too fast into a hard corner, or your friction is too high... or your CG is too high, or your suspension is too stiff, etc.

If you want a hot-key for adjusting this, just group your suspensions together, go to the G menu, and add a couple toolbar keys (while in the cockpit, obviously), one for decrease friction and one for increase friction. That's already available in the game.

Also, check out my suggestion for "Selectable gyroscope overrides" for a very simple (software-wise and end-user-wise) to address vehicle stabilization (loosely related, can be used to prevent flipping).

Leave a Comment

Attach a file