This object is in archive! 

Selectable gyroscope overrides

glabifrons shared this feedback 22 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Gyroscopes should have override selectable per axis.

Alternatively, and probably easier to program, you should be able to individually disable axes on gyroscopes (whether overridden or not).

The use cases for this include things like rovers, where you don't want to flip your vehicle by bumping your mouse, so you'd have a gyro on override with roll and pitch both overridden and yaw disabled. With no effect on yaw, turning using the wheels would be more responsive, while the remaining two axes keep the vehicle more stable.

The same setup could be done with a vertical mining flyer. Either a single gyro with both pitch and roll overridden, but yaw controlled by user input (as per my first suggestion), or a pair of gyros with one having pitch and roll overridden with yaw disabled plus a second gyro with pitch and roll disabled and yaw responding to user input (as per my second suggestion). Both would permit the user to fly around and dig as needed without worrying about tipping too far in a narrow ship not designed for horizontal flight (but optimized for vertical drilling).

Replies (1)

photo

I realized that my explanation is given with the assumption of how people are using gyros. Playing the Frostbite scenario reminded me that some specifically set gyros (like in the rovers in Frostbite) to an override set to actually spin on one axis, with a hot-key for turning it on/off (to right a vehicle after rolling it).

My explanation was of the opposite configuration, where you have override enabled, but all axes set to zero to prevent rotation along those axes. This, for example, makes a flyer move in a plane without any rotation at all. Sometimes that's what you want, but if you want to be able to turn, the gyro is then fighting you (and the other gyro that's actually making the turn happen). That is what this request addresses.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file