This object is in archive! 

Custom component support for mods

DeathPenalty44 shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

I was wondering where would be best to leave a suggestion for a feature to add to the base code of SE to help improve, I think, an over looked part of the game.

Currently most mods shy away from creating any new components. As once you start doing this your mod becomes incompatible with almost every other mod because they still use the default components. In order for someone to use both, they have to recreate the cube_block.sbc definitions of the mod they wish to integrate. This becomes an issue as duplicates of mods begin to appear of the original mods and it muddies the workshop and causes authors to chase DMCAs and other copyright policies.

My solution is if Keen added an optional <Component Profile> within the cube_block definition while keeping the existing <Components> tag.

Where you could call a profile in a separate file, say ComponentProfiles.sbc, similar to the <ContainerTypes> that entities and inventories can use. Having both Tags means existing Mods will still work but future mods that add blocks can reference a separate profile file that other modders can simply have a ComponentProfile.sbc file with the changes needed to make the two mods compatible with each other. Both mods will still need to be required as the profile will not be called without the original mods there to need the profile and it would reduce the amount of re-uploads of mods. I think it will also mean modders will be more willing to expand on the existing component lists as server admins could use this not only to create support for new components on other mods but be able to easily adjust construction cost of special blocks and/or allow smaller groups of friends to play together using their favorite mods without re uploading others work

Well I hope it is of interest to you guys and I really do think its an easy to implement solution, given that you already do the same thing elsewhere that could open the door for a new range of mods.

Replies (1)

photo

Thank you, you saved me at least 5 hours of work, but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

we need to have this in the game at least for modders.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file