This object is in archive! 

Tractor Beam/Tether/Anchor Concept Idea

Goatroach shared this feedback 23 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I have an idea on how to make a viable tractor beam/tether/anchor concept using mechanics already used by multiple blocks in SE:

Some things to consider before we begin:

First, you have the actual tractor block itself, the object that will have mass, hit box, visual model, etc., that the player builds on their ship.

Second, you have a dummy object, one used for the actual attachment/anchor point. This object can also generate an associated model or particle effect seen by the player.

So now, here's how these two parts would work/interact:

Step 1 - Where are you?: The tractor block would target a grid, just like a searchlight or turret would, with a minimum limit of say, 10m (closer, just use piston landing gear), and a max range limit (say, 50m, maybe 100m). It could also be "fired" manually at voxels, for an extended range (say, up to 200m).

Step 2 - I see you: The tractor block performs a hit-scan for any block or voxel between the minimum and maximum range limits.

Step 3 - Try, try again: If no hit, reset. If hit, perform check to see if a magnetic plate of the same grid size as the tractor block could attach (magnetic plates won't attach beyond certain angles). This check ensures the generated anchor visual will align well enough with the target surface. So basically, if a magnetic plate could lock at that angle, so will the dummy object.

Step 4 - Solid hit!: If successful hit conditions are met, dummy block is spawned at hit location, along with appropriate visual effect (examples; energy ripples, grapple hook, mag plate, ship anchor). We use a visual effect rather than actual geometry with collision for increased performance/stability.

Step 5 - Who am I?: Tractor block and dummy block get unique paired ID tags, so they can only interact with each other, and no other nearby tractor/dummy blocks. This also gives the server/save something to log, so connections remain upon server restart or loading a save.

Step 6 - Establish link: Tractor and dummy block form a link similar to that of laser antennas, where they must maintain a direct line of sight with each other. This will allow for tether/beam "cutting/disruption" by grids and voxels (but not characters). This ability to "cut" will aid in combating griefing, and give players the ability to make countermeasures (simple rotor+block arm to swing and cut/disrupt), or fly fighters between them to free their allies. This link can also be used to generate a particle effect between the tractor block and dummy block, like an energy beam, chains, rope, etc.

Step 7 - Attraction: Attraction is established between the tractor block and dummy block, just like how connectors can magnetically attract each other. This attraction will allow for many great features, first and foremost, it will allow for distance variation between the tractor block and dummy block, emulating slack in the tether/beam, giving a more natural look/feel. Another boon to this is you can decide in the tractor block how many Newtons of force the tether/beam can withstand, and this force slider would also determine power load/consumption. This also means a lower mass grid would get dragged by a larger mass grid. It also means multiple low mass grids could work together as tow ships to move a larger mass grid. It also means if a ship accelerates away too fast, the tether can "snap" as the max Newtons are exceeded.

Step 8 - Winching: The beam/tether could be winched in or given slack by lowering or raising the max distance, much like how a piston can extend/retract, but thanks to the connector-like magnetic attraction, the distance has variation, and can shift location freely rather than being rigidly affixed. Winch speed can be adjusted to meet the tensile strength (max Newtons) needs.

Step 9 - Detach conditions: If the line of sight between the tractor and dummy blocks gets disrupted/cut, dummy block is removed/deleted, and tractor block resets. The tractor block can also issue a self-disconnect should the max force be exceeded, power becomes insufficient, or player terminates connection either manually or via block actions (like sensors, timer blocks, cockpit lock, button panel, etc.).

What do you think?

I have no programming skill, nor modding skill in SE, so I'm not even sure all this could work, but I think this might be a good start, far better than just saying, "We should have tractor beams."

After all, we can wish for anything, but wishing only gets you so far. A plan/strategy, the logistics of how to do something, is what really matters, and I hope I've provided a plausible solution - or close enough to a solution to give this further consideration.

Thank you for hearing me out, and please, up-vote!

With the advent of water coming to SE, OBVIOUSLY we're gonna need a way to anchor our boats.

This system could also be used for all sorts of stuff, maybe even a engineer-held grapple. Imagine being able to water-ski or para-sail in SE! You could tractor other ships and pull them towards grinders, or heck, you could make robot "fish" ships and go "space-fishing!" Adding a tether system to the game is inevitable. Hopefully this is a place to start.

Replies (2)

photo

There will never be water in SE

photo

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2200451495&searchtext=water

Water has arrived and I still need a massive piston arm to anchor.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file