This object is in archive! 

Armor blocks made into voxels

Bluestar shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Im curious as to why armor blocks arnt actually voxels

Planets must be made up of millions or billions of voxels, we surly cant have millions or billions of armor blocks in the game as it currently stands.

- Voxels clearly have a form of health as we can drill them

- Unless im imagining it different voxel types take longer to drill.(like heavy and light armor)

- Voxels can deform(obviously)

- Voxels have collision.

- Voxels can be cube shaped, like mincraft just remove the smoothing algorithm

The only difference is armor moves in the world voxels dont, is voxels not moving a limitation of the engine or was it simply never needed so wasnt implemented?

What i would think would be good is making a separate voxel system forking of the terrain voxels that cater specifically to being used as armor, allow them to be place-able and snapable to blocks. The wouldnt necessarily merge in with terrain voxels they would sepratly clip into each other as they do now, terrain voxels merge with eachother and armor voxels merge with eachother

Just have the block place as the normal(current) block in its build states but as it is fully wielded it changes over to a voxel version and merges with all other connecting armor voxels

A save with 5 large planets runs perfectly fine, in fact it runs mostly the same with or without the 5 planets. Do the same test with with alot of armor with and without and its not so perfect

Although armor is not the most expensive of blocks, arguably the cheapest of all the blocks the fact so many of them get placed they often make up 90% of a build

Making them the same performance as voxels would almost make them costless

(In theory im sure it wont workout quite like that as it never dose)

Im sure theres a lot more to it then this but it boil down to the simple premise of 'If armor was voxels would placing a million of them hinder performance in the way that placing a million armor blocks as they currently are now would?' Im guessing it would be way more performant and extend build capability by quite alot, question is if there is a technical reason it cant be done.

Replies (1)

photo

I'm not sure whether this is correct but...

I think the reason armor blocks cant be voxels is because of its physics calculations; mainly angular velocity, linear velocity, and how they deform. I don't think voxels move because they'd then need to store position and rotation values, of which they're probably millions per planet. In order to move every voxel, you'd need to iterate over them (a consuming process for a multi-million data set) and update their physics. Voxel deformation seems to be more or less: remove a sphere at the point of impact(s) with radius proportional to the momentum of the impacting object, whereas armor specifically deforms by physically modifying the mesh instead of just being deleted.

Anyone with such knowledge correct me on this.

photo

Its not that voxels cant move as a general rule many other games have voxels that move and fall and have physics, ofcorse on other engines and not vrage.

Space engineers voxels do have some form of physics calculation on impact form grids, probably not in the same way as armor but its not like they have no physics. It could be also a case it could have been down to a limitation from many years ago when the system was first setup, voxels havnt really changed or had any major review as far as we are aware. With the tech and coding knowledge of modern day help better improve a voxel system thats atleast half a decade old.

Voxels currently provide all the features of a armor block other then being movable, they deform they have health ect

Im a ue4 developer and i use https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/voxel-plugin-pro?sessionInvalidated=true

It is a super advance and very versatile voxel system, i have a good understanding of how voxels work to a limited degree. If i was to use the voxel system in ue4 and use for terrain and armor shapes, it would trivial and easy to do.

Ofcorse that unreal and a modern coded voxel system thats still in current active development specifically, the coder is constantly upgrading the plugin its 10x better now then when i first bought it and it was already amazing back then.

When it comes to space engineers and vrage i dont know the reasons and whys and the logistics im merely presenting the premise of could it be used for armor to serve as a much needed upgrade to build performance and block count limits. If its a case of voxels need to be made to be able to move then what would that take, even if it was attempted before dosnt meant a review cant be done to see if a fresh and modern perspective on the issue could be used to solve it. Given its not about adding a feature its about a potential major performance upgrade to the base game features aka building which is the very core of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2195637331 Here is an example an entire planet made into a city if you attempted to do the same with armor the pc would simply give up, not talking about all the functional blocks a city this size would have but simply if you tried to recrate it in just armor blocks you wouldn't be able to. Voxels as a shape filling object are clearly better then how armor blocks are currently set, changing them to be voxels would probably allow almost infinite building. The planet dosnt look perfect as a city using voxels as they where not intended for this, if we had placeable/snappable cube voxels then building cities would look better and and be no different to how we would make them out of armor

If movable voxels is an absolute no then they could still be used for 'static grids' that do not move, implement a system that swaps between standard armor blocks and voxel blocks, switching a grid from a station to a ship changes the blocks to armor and vice versa. So at the very least static grids can reap the benefits of being voxels and costing significantly less. Building static towns and cities would be far more viable

photo

Maybe it's how they store and process block updates, but I'm down for this implementation.

photo

If anything voxel blocks could be implemented as ex experimental features as separate blocks keeping the standard in place till its considered safe to replace them. All in the name of superior performance

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file