This object is in archive! 

Scrollable toolbars + rotation commands

Fabian Czajkowski shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

This one is pretty much straightforward - make it possible to scroll through toolbars instead of depending on a key.

Problem:

It's awesome that so many new blocks have been added to the game, but this has introduced attrition points in usability. In order to have flexible shortcuts for building, we often need to use several toolbars in order to accomodate necessary blocks, not to mention that tools also take toolbar slots. Players already need to dedicate headspace to decide what goes into each slot and each toolbar, only to face an ubiquitous problem when actually building:

Using keys to change toolbars doesn't work well with the inputs players are using when building. On PC, WASD + QE are essential to move around. Mouse is used to aim at the right direction and placing/removing blocks, and the scroll is used to change between blocks within a group.

Rotation inputs are essential for building in most cases, not only for aesthetics but also function - in conveyor systems for example. It's a complex input as rotation is given in 3 axes; hence the keybindings use command keys (Page Dn, Page Up, Home etc.)... which are on the numberpad. This requires taking the hand off from either the movement keys, or the mouse, which should happen only when switching between entirely different tasks/roles in the game, where absolutely necessary.

In addition to this, switching toolbars is also binded to "<" and ">" keys, resulting in the same problem. It's super uncomfortable, but at least can be reconfigured to another keybinding... which does not support key combos or key+mouse combos. It's too weird for something that's so frequently useful.

Solution:

Starting from the most simple, toolbars: Allow players to scroll between toolbars using CTRL/ALT+scroll. Or even, make the keybinding system more robust as to allow such customization! I'm sure this would help with accessibility and other usability issues.

Then to the complex cousin, rotation: This requires usability testing but I'd bet the best option lies between using CTRL + WASDQE, or also supporting using the mouse scroll with modifier keys to change rotation axis. For the latter, we could show a gizmo with the selected rotation axis, and/or an arrow indicating the directions the scroll will rotate blocks to. Color code it similarly to the mirror planes and there you go: we can nurture affordance on that part too.

Hope it sounds reasonable! :)

Replies (1)

photo

Also, Ctrl is the universal key for crouching, even if you start with a terrible mapping tossing it to C (not happening) any actual gamer fix it back to Ctrl, so, Ctrl + number is a no go for navigating bars... wheel would be ideal IMO, even the unusable button C is better than default, LOL... maybe Numlock keys? Anithing that doesn't involve crouching or jetpacking downwards just to change bars...

Anyways, please add that feature so we can cicle thru the bars with mouse wheel

EDIT: acctually I just found out we already can with , and . but it'd still be great if we could do it with mouse wheel as well, even better if up and down changes bar, left and right (any half decent mouse have that feature) change the number in that bar

Aaaand should be costumisable, not only that, I really don't want crouch+number changing my bars, I should be able to remap it...

Leave a Comment

Attach a file