This object is in archive! 

[SUGGESTION] Auto Armor Block Shape Assist

jglenn1562 shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello!

I'm currently building a large, very curvaceous ship. I've spent hours on small portions of the ship, constantly cycling through the blocks, flipping and rotating them, hoping they would fill in the gap, and then repeating for the next armor block. It's during this build, that the idea dawned upon me... an assist tool that would relieve me, and many, MANY others, of this burden.

The Idea

I strongly believe that an automatic armor shape assist option would be extremely helpful for anyone who struggles to find that armor block that's "just right" to fill in an awkward gap.

This tool would likely be best assigned to a hotkey, so once you press the hotkey, all armor blocks you place while the tool is enabled, will attempt to select a block, orientate it, and match it's edges to the neighboring blocks.

Like usual, you would still see the transparent block result before you place it.

If not all the neighboring armor block edges can be matched with one block, then the tool would provide the next closest match. If multiple close matches are detected, you can use the scroll wheel to cycle through the armor shape options detected by the tool.

By having the tool utilize the mouse scroll wheel to cycle armor match options, it would work out perfectly, since people already use the scroll wheel mostly to locate that perfect block.

When you're done using the assist, then simply press the hotkey, and the original building style will return.

I can't stress enough, a feature like this would greatly help those who find the current armor shape system very cumbersome and frustrating. This also will greatly encourage people to build less "brick-like" ships.

Please consider this Keen Software House!!!

(EDIT: Forgot to add a few minor details)

(EDIT 2: Shortened the title, it was too long)

Replies (1)

photo

Commenting to see if it's removed from archive lol

Leave a Comment

Attach a file