This object is in archive! 

Steam Deck support

sidi mardaci shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

I noticed that another topic about the steam deck was archived without any response.

Any idea if there will be any official keen support for the upcoming steam deck?

I'm an adamant windows user for 1 sole reason, the lack of support from developers. As soon as more devs decide to go with it, the faster I'll hop over.

With most of my games getting support with the steam deck, I'll be uninstalling windows if the expierience is good.

I bet more and more people will think the same, so It's always good to be a leader rather than a follower in adding support. Please tell me something will happen for the great game of spice egineers?

Replies (9)

photo

Steam deck just released and it would look really good for keen to be a verified game right away and massively increase their dlc sales if they were a verified game. Plus space engineers on the steam deck with full access to scripting and mods instead of being locked out of the best mods and unable to use scripts unless you are on a multiplayer server like on PS4 and Xbox Series would be fantastic and might increase the player base significantly. Let's see that deck verified tag Keen!

photo

Yes, castrate SE even more for console! Split and scatter dev resources across even more niche platforms! Invite even more sources of bugs! I'm sure those 0.1 % potential target audience increase would surely justify making the main game quality suffer even more under the ever-increasing workload!

photo

Somebody doesn't like steam 😂😂😂

photo
photo

They already half assed the controller support. They had to rework that again since the current implementation is a Xbox Controller (probably wasn't on purpose but it is what it is). It's not using steam input API which makes the steam controller non functional and probably the steam deck as well. (Permanent scrolling and input type switching between Xbox and PC ui all the time)

I have found no way around it.

photo

Shouldn’t there be a published and advertised, “are you interested in us looking at this feature” type of thing? A steam discussion group referred me here, otherwise I wouldn’t have known…

photo

I doubt Steam deck could handle SE

and have to agree with Andersenman - Yes, castrate SE even more for console! Split and scatter dev resources across even more niche platforms! Invite even more sources of bugs! I'm sure those 0.1 % potential target audience increase would surely justify making the main game quality suffer even more under the ever-increasing workload!

photo

Are you aware that the Steam deck is nothing more than a PC running Linux? Does not sound like it.

photo
photo

To provide some insight into what Steam Deck support would look like on the developer side of things, the Steam Deck uses Valve's Proton in order to enable running the existing Windows-only version of Space Engineers through a translation layer. The game already runs reasonably well on Linux using Proton, and the only additional steps required to achieve a status of Steam Deck Verified would a bit of additional QA and prompting Valve to complete certification. There would be no fragmentation of the developer efforts, and no need to port or rewrite the game from scratch for a new platform.

photo

Same here, some support for steam deck mean direct support for Linux...

The game run not that bad on Linux, and it's probably not so much work to make the game really "click and play" on linux / steam deck...

photo

It would be great to see at least some Linux/Steam Deck support! I've managed to get Space Engineers working on my Steam Deck. There is a community controller layout with working triggers from someone name 'SceneRaider'. It binds the mouse buttons to the triggers. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.

The other thing is joining a modded server. It wont work.

It would be so great to be able to play space engineers anywhere you like on the Steam Deck :)

Love the game either way though! Playing on both PC and Xbox and hopefully soon(ish) properly on Steam Deck.

photo

How many votes would be "enough votes"? Genuinely curious.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file