This object is in archive! 

Bullet Drop should be proportionate to the game's projectile speed (i.e. less drop)

ConTaGious shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

So I like having projectiles affected by gravity but feel they are affected quite a bit more than they should be.

Using a player rifle or fixed ship gatling turret, projectiles are dropping much more than I would expect. I was using the rifle to shoot at a drone 350 meters away from me (which is really not that far away) and the distance I have to aim above the drone (while aiming down sights) causes the weapon's model to block the drone for one, but also just feels so unnatural. Things of course are even worse on planets with higher gravity strengths.

I expect that maybe projectile drop distance is realistic for the current projectile speeds (which are quite slow compared to real life) but I propose the distance projectiles should drop should instead be proportionate to as if they were traveling closer to real life speeds. Basically, just reduce the affect gravity has on projectiles by some amount.

When not aiming down sights and firing up in the air a bit, you can see the projectile tracers (easier to see with tracer mod) curving down sharply basically as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel.

A side note, (not your (Keen's) problem), but using an NPC mod that is has written their own AI code for NPC ships/drones using fixed gatling guns, they can no longer hit me while on a planet. Here is a screenshot of me being perfectly safe while 2 drones shoot the ground in front of me lol. One of them is only 275 meters away.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qfj1mFGwnuUyuq5m8

Replies (2)

photo

I wrote a Program to check wether the Bullet drop is proportional to Gravity (using Assault Cannon).

Yes It is, you can calculate the Bullet Drop using the real world Formula D = 1/2 * g * t^2,

where D = Bullet Drop in meters, g = Gravity of the Planet, t = time of Travel.

e.G:

Range = 1400 m. Using Assault Cannon (Muzzle Velocity = 500 m/s, sauce = https://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/Weapons), the bullet will travel 2.8 seconds (1400m / 500 m/ s). the Bullet Drop (on Earthlike) will be 38.45m (1/2 * 9.81 * (2.8^2)).

This is more than you would see in real Life using a modern Artillery Piece, but this is just because Space engineers weapons have a lower Muzzle Velocity. (827m/s for a M777 howitzer).

<sidenote>

if you are writing a targeting script and you are undershooting, the easiest way to compensate is:

if you have P = Target's position, V = Target's Velocity, A = Target's Acceleration, t = Time to target (this is the hard part to figure out) and g = Gravity Vector (get this using IMyShipController.GetNaturalGravity() in your script)

the Targets Position will be P + V*t + 1/2*(A - g)*t^2

i.e. I am subtracting gravity from the Targets Acceleration, => in my formula the target is moving Upward proportional to gravity.

</sidenote>

photo

Thanks for actual science, not whining.

photo
photo

That is very interesting. Thanks for writing a script and performing a test then sharing, along with the rest of the info. I actually ended up editing the ammunition sbc and increased projectile speeds for my own game. Though, something I considered was that with the low-ish max ranges in vanilla, having too fast of projectile velocities may affect the ability to "dodge" to some degree. I can imagine some people having an issue with that aspect.

But i'm still at the character hand weapon only stage :P Progressing very slowly and haven't much time of late. So I haven't really done any testing or comparison with ship weapons with the increased velocities, but the hand weapons definitely feel more natural when fighting against mod spawned bots.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file