This object is in archive! 

Multiple Feedback & Suggestions

Regis shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello Keen SH Team, 1st of all, congratulations on an epic launch. I was very exited for the custom turret controller block, it opens us our posibilities in space engineers so much. As soon as i got the update i started tinkering with it, while listening to Xoc in the background.

A little about myself: I have 2080 hours in game. I own all DLCs, can't get enough of this game. I've been part of this community and steam for a while. A suggestion of mine that actually got in the game was reskining / repainting blocks. I was upset when i welded a ship it had that scratched default texture, and i always had to keep installing clean armor mod, so i suggested repaining and reskinning and it happened. I was extremly proud of myself. I have a very great need to creat, reason i have so many hours in SE is because i love SPACE, and i always wanted a game where i can build whatever i wanted.

That being said, i have a number of suggestions and ideas that could be interesting to be added in the game.

1. Tank Tracks
    It's only natural to add tank traks right now, after we got warfare update. Tanks have been made with mods on the workshop for quite some time but it used to be dificult to make something like this in multiplayer vanilla, but not anymore. Having the turret controller is awesome, only thing that's missing is tank tracks. Obviously Tank Tracks need to come with a block called Tank Track Controller. Why ? Well if you are in a tank and want to turn your tank 90 degrees to the right, the right track would reverse and the left track would go further. Another thing to consider on tracks is when a tank goes forward and wants to, let's say switch lanes on a highway, the right track slows down, while the left track increases speed, this allows the tank to turn and move on the right highway lane. . As a last thing to consider, at maximum speed, tank tracks manuver slower, because already being at maximum speed, when a driver wants to turn right, the right track can decrease speed however the left track is already at maximum it can't go higher, because of this tanks going at maximum speeds are very slow to manouver.
  2. Limited Oriented Shields
    Later at the stream people started mentioning shields and a dev asked if we wanted starwars shields or stra trek shields. The thing is those don't fi Space Engineer's style. And it would be very annoying to have something like this in multiplayer, heck it would even be annoying vs npcs. The way i see shields, and again it's only a suggestion, is as a "FREE GET OUT OF A PREDICAMENT CARD". What does this mean? Well it means, that if you are flying through space and aren't really careful either at the giant missile barrage that's coming twards you from an enemy ship, or at the asteroid you are about to hit you can look at the direction the threat is coming from [missiles or asteroid] and ause a special block's action, called SHIELD PROJECTOR. This, depending on where you are looking from 3rd person view, will generate a wide shield screen, that will absorb damage for 10-15 seconds. The screen can be 8x4 large blocks. To ballance this out, it would require 15-30 minutes of recharge at 30 mw. The idea came from another game, star conflict, and the destroyers in that game, have this perticular shield project, witch i would think fits in nice with space engineers.
  3. VTOL Controller, basically half the work is done with the custom turret controller, all you need to do is fork the custom turret controller code and make it so thrusters generally orient against gravity and if subgrid speed in any direction is greater than zero that get the angle at witch the subgrid is moving, project that angle to the controlled rotors and increase thruster speed [dampeners]. Or something along those lines.
  4. Interesting to have. An event or new scenario related the jump drive. Basically we would be in the regular solar system. And somehow we detect a new signal coming in from across the universe, we would power up the jump drive and jump in that direction and surprise, a new solar system. This would be a pretty cool way of introducing a new solar system map, couse i think a lot of players, including me know the regular system in and out.

Thank you for reading, all the best!

Replies (2)

photo

I would love to see tank tracks, but your proposal kind of misses the mark on what the "hard part" is for implementing them. What you describe in your control scheme for differential steering already happens with wheels. From a control point of view, all that's left is to implement the skid-turn pivoting, and that's trivial. The hard part is actually related to the physics of connecting the tracks to the road wheels in a free-form block-building game, along with handling wheel destruction and thrown track. It can be done, it's just tricky. I'd love to see it.

Shields are just a bad idea. No matter how you design them. The problem comes from attempting to balance them for small grids. Whatever you do for small grids, large grids can do bigger and more. So the 30 MW recharge requirement might be onerous for a small grid craft, but it's nothing for an LG craft. And the LG craft can always pack enough of your proposed block to make small grid craft effectively useless.

The VTOL controller idea is very nice. It does seem like a relatively straightforward fork of the current CTC block.

I am always perplexed by people requesting any form of "allow us to jump to other systems." We don't need any special sort of function to do this because we already have that ability. That's literally what every new game is. If you want to "jump to a new system" just blueprint your ship, delete it from your current game, start a new game, load the blueprint into that game and continue playing.

For future reference, each idea should be a separate suggestion with a descriptive title. This allows people to vote on each idea separately, and better works with how KSH manage their suggestions (as they mark them individually with the status based on feedback). With a title like "Feedback" many people won't bother to read it, and with multiple ideas in a single submission, it means people have to write a response indicating yay/nay/why for each idea, which means KSH need to read every single response and manually tally the opinions on multiple ideas. All of which means your suggestions are much less likely to be seen, voted on, or acted upon. Just some food for thought.

photo

I agree with 1,3 and 4 but strongly disagree with 2, the railgun can punch a hole right through your ship in one shot that HAS heavy blocks

Leave a Comment

Attach a file