This object is in archive! 

Space Suits as a piece of gear that needs to be made

spiegel shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

I propose the space suit should be a piece of gear that has to be manufactured. That you can remove and equip it like tools. In line with how it is shown hung up in the armory locker block for example. Currently, it's like these space engineers were born wearing space suits. A bit odd, no? They don't need them on Earth for example, aside from flying around - but you could argue that it isn't as feasible for them to fly with their space suits as easily as they would be able to in space without a larger amount of thrust and fuel; a jetpack made specifically for Earths environment. So that raises the question of making space suits and wearable gear manufacturable items with different qualities.

Making space suits into items gives more avenues for progression. Without making the game into an RPG, there could be better qualities of suits with different attributes like more armor or inventory space, fuel space, thrust etc. This could counter 'hydro-manning' by making suits task specific.

If you're not wearing a space suit then your character would be wearing normal clothing. I wouldn't imagine normal clothing to need to be crafted, or have to have attributes. It could be done though. There could be armor that isn't meant for space, for example. Starter armors up to metal armors for surviving on Earth-like planets at first.

Replies (3)

photo

I agree and it would be great for people who also want to RP or just to be immersed or just as a challenge. This also would be great for modders too. I personally think there should be a little UI change when looking at player inventory to accommodate this change for the helmet suit and jetpack slots.

photo

Please yes! Making Space Suits a separate object would unlock so many potentials.

Just thing of all the space suits skinns the you find in loot pods zebra, badger.... that do nothing today.

Could add special bonuses for Engineers wearing a special spacesuits (or complete set).

Noting crazy, but just a small increase 5-15% in speed or storage the more rare the space suits the more power full boost.

Things that could be increase:

Spacesuits battery

Spacesuits hydrogen storage

Spacesuits oxygen storage

Inventory storage

Drilling speed

Welder speed

Grinder speed

Spacesuits armor

Health recovery speed

Walking/running speed

Jetpack speed

photo

I had some afterthoughts, there could be space suit tiers with more slots for modules like storage or fuel the better they are, instead of one type of suit for a certain bonus type. That might be more intuitive.

Also there could be a block that dresses your character into suits or armor for when the moment arises they are specifically needed, or say as a block that could be placed in the middle of an air lock that equips and removes the gear set.

I also thought that different gear would make pressurized interiors more purposeful, and perhaps the benefit of them could be that armors not meant for space would have much more protection while space suits are fragile and meant for building and maintenance in the vacuum, or there could be a military space suit that sits in the middle with average armor and some air and fuel storage for fighting. Like the Dead Space spacesuit with all its metal exterior. Maybe it could bring people to fight and defend inside ships more or expand first person combat.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file