This object is in archive! 

[Custom Turret Block] floating Custom Turret / Custom PropNav Missile

Bennet Petersen shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Please add the following things to the custom turret block:

1. allow Gyroscopes for the azimuth/elevation rotors.

2. add the Warhead or (even better) the thruster to the weapons list and let it use the current grid velocity as input for the target predictor.

With 1 we can build projectable floating/unsupported turrets without scripts. Those can be dropped like Mines in combat situation. These can be built like this:

8d829dc4021630dd3d7cdb66ca2640d1

The turret in the image is not projectable and not very stable though.

With 2 we can build proportional navigating guided missiles, by adding thrusters and warheads to a floating turret.

Replies (3)

photo

For the second point, i suggest adding the remote control block to let the Custom Turret Block control the ship and use it as a guided missile. It should also be added some kind of way to specify a merge block, rotor or hinge to be detached in order for the missile to separate from the ship. The "Setup Actions" should trigger the chosen action when the missile is in close proximity, so that we can trigger warheads with a proximity fuse. Alternatively "Setup Actions" could work like it does now, meaning that it triggers when the "gun" (in this case the whole ship) is aimed correctly, and a second "Setup Actions" could be added specifically for the proximity fuse paired with a slider to choose the distance.

photo

At this point Keen could add a custom missile controller or give the remote control a "missile mode".

The missile controller was suggested here:

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/pc/topic/22871-custom-missile-controller

photo

I agree, it makes more sense. I already saw and upvoted that post.

photo
photo

Y'all can do tracking missles and proximity stuff with sensors for tracking just build a missle with 4 small thrusters in the back seat up 5 sensors in the front pointing forward up down left and right set up the sensors areas into 5 x5x15 Just infront of the sensor and set the actions to over ride the thruster adjacant to it. For proxy just set up a sensor n timer block with the sensor reading 20 meters out front n the timer block to prime n activate a 5 sec timer. Times can be played with and those can be combined to make it chase stuff but you could easily make a drone to chase someone with a turret or two on it

photo

There is a large difference between tracking and proportional navigating. The latter one is more or less necessary, if you want your missile to hit moving and maneuvering targets reliably.

It also can't be done in vanilla without scripts. However the CTC implements ~90% of this functionality. I'm just asking for the remaining 10% to be implemented.

photo
photo

Instead of, or in addition to, directly making gyros valid control sinks, enabling access to directional control of control blocks would be nice, too. That way, the CTC could act like a player's WASDQE↑↓ and mouse input which in turn could control not only gyros, but also thrusters and even wheels, making steered vehicles an option without brute-forcing their direction with over 9000 gyros.

photo

Like exposing the phi and theta axis of the remote control to be added to the azimuth/elevation rotor list? Ok, this would work.

But the CTC has no "output" for translation controls, since it is a turret controller and not a movement controller. I would alternatively suggest a missile mode for the remote control to fill this gap, like in my response to TheWarMaster97.

Anyway, a wheeled ground based missile sound really funny, i would love to see that.

photo

I am not familiar with the inner workings with the RC and those particular axes, so I could not say whether that analogy meets my suggestion.

And yes, the CTC has no output for translation controls as such, but nevertheless it is, or at least seems to the player that it is, capable of producing some sort of speed signal, possibly even a proportional one, based on the deviation from current Azim/Elev and the calculated lead to a target, and converting that signal into a form already understood by wheels, gyros, and thrusters does not seem like an outright impossibility.

Either way, while the CTC may have been intended as a turret controller, it is already quite evident that it could be potentially a lot more, and to some extent already is. (See those who already made homing missiles with it, entirely vanilla and scriptless.) It is a powerful tool for automation and control based on some form of locked target, something that used to require a player as the translator between signal and mechanical response, be it a drone, a turret, or any other variant of a follower, and it would be greatly enriching if this new built-in mechanism were opened to serve greater ranges of signal sources and drains.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file