This object is in archive! 

The opportunity for New shields in Vanilla

Nick Reda shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Space engineers would, in my opinion, would greatly benefit from a shield block that takes an extremely small amount of damage before going offline for a considerable chunk of time, about 20-30 seconds. Adding this mechanic would add stupid amounts of balance for small grids vs large grids, since the small ships can take a couple of hits before completely being decimated. Meanwhile, large ships would be able to utilize multiple sectors of shields, so small ships would have to specifically focus certain sectors ((Frontal shield, rear shield)). Make shields overheat power sources as they go down, so if people try to spam them for infinite shields, it'll just power down the entire grid. I'm completely open to any arguments on why this would be bad for vanilla.

Replies (2)

photo

If you've ever played on a server that uses shields, you'll immediately realize that shield systems inevitably result in the dominant strategy of "more power wins" and ships become bricks of reactors with a wall of guns on the front. Small grid ships, because they can't compete in power production, immediately become obsolete. So this is not the combat balance panacea you think it might be.

With the release of Warfare 2, small grids now have advantages against bigger weapons because the weapons take longer to acquire a target lock. Let's see how that plays out for awhile.

photo

@Patrick.

I completely agree with you, I understand 100% what you're saying, which is why I've specified a new shield system.

I'm not pushing the system that already exists, because I understand it's flawed, in fact I'll agree it's horrible for the game.

That's why what I'm advocating for is a different shield, such as a small integrity shield, capable of taking 1-5 hits depending on damage done, before powering down and being down for about 20-30 seconds, such as an integrity shield.

This would allow small ships to take a little bit of chip damage before retreating out of range to recharge, while a large mother ship would be capable of running multiple shields in different sectors of the ships, requiring either pinpoint damage, or a collaborative focus to disable.

This would act as an extra coating of armor that realistically good players would choose when to utilize to correctly minimize the most damage done overall, and it'd like be selectively used to prevent a single large railgun from ending the fight in one shot.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file