This object is in archive! 

Alternate Star Systems

Abyzmi shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Alright so.... I had this great idea and I'd love to see it put into the game.

We currently have our star system with the variety of planets, and it's awesome.

But how cool would it be if we had multiple star systems? Exploration possibilities would be vast.

What would this entail?

1) New interstellar travel block and jump points

I'm imagining that we get a new block for large ships that allows travel between star systems. You attach the block to your ship, and then you have to travel to a certain point in space, very far distant from where the planets are located. I'm thinking out by the deep space trading stations, but the point where you have to be located in order to jump between systems is a very specific point in space and it doesn't move or change. Once you're there, you activate your interstellar travel block and you're off!

This is exciting because it presents the possibility of players setting up trade and refueling outposts near these jump points that people can refuel at as they're out exploring.

2) Star System Variation

It would be boring if all of the star systems were exactly the same. Variation in the star systems is key. This means different planets in each star system, different distributions of resources, different NPCs to trade with or fight in each system, and more. Star systems could have a theme where you'll jump in and find mostly harsh planets with barren wastelands, toxic environments, and hazardous conditions like meteor showers. You could jump into another star system and find a verdant theme with lush planets and strange creatures.

NPCs may inhabit some systems, while others are completely undisturbed.

Resources could be distributed differently among different systems so that you may find a larger quantity of Iron for example in one system over others.

A way that I could see to make this happen would be to develop some kind of procedural generation tool to manufacture planets and put them into a random distribution of star systems.

The main point of this feature would be to be able to move between star systems and explore strange new worlds with the creations that we make. It just seems like a fun feature that would generate a lot of game content.

Replies (3)

photo

TThe gameplay loop is already fixed so there is no new Starsystem with more resources and NPCs need to be added in general. The variety you get by doing it ATM is non existent

However you can roleplay yourself into a different save file with unique mods and workshop planets and just copy your ship over.

photo

Just blueprint your ship, start a new "star system" game, and load your blueprint. Boom, you just jumped to a new star system. The game doesn't need a mechanic for doing what is essentially loading a new game.

photo

I think it would be neat just to have a block that does this though as it adds to the experience. Plus having to exit a game is always experience breaking (at least for me).

Leave a Comment

Attach a file