This object is in archive! 

Change in speed limit mechanics

Mopsy shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

I and I'm guessing a lot other people are irritated by the fact that there is a speed limit.

If I'm correct in real life the mass of an object increases when it is approaching light speed.

So your acceleration should decrease when your speed is higher, could this be added into the game? (You could start the increase of mass earlier/faster than in real life)

I would like a setting for max speed in the game settings as well.

Replies (2)

photo

That effect is only noticeable at measurable fractions of the speed of light, which nothing in the game approaches. Even 1% of 1% of light speed (1/10000) is 29,979.2 m/s. The game's physics engine can't handle things moving that fast anyway.

Regarding changing the top speed via a setting, I can appreciate the value of having something in the vanilla game as opposed to using a mod, but the fact is that this is a really trivial change to make and many mods already do this. The developers' time is better spent on something that mods can't do or can't do well.

photo

Essentially, the formulas from special relativity could be used, replacing the speed of light (c) with the speed limit of the game. This would be especially useful with higher speed limits. I have found that on my machine, the game spazzes out when I hit about 150,000 m/s. This is 1/2000 of the real speed of light, but the game is in scale anyway. Set a speed limit of, say, 10,000 m/s, with acceleration dropping as you get close, and not be able to actually reach the top speed. You wouldn't even notice until you reached 50-75% of your top speed. I have upvoted the idea, although I'd like someone to put it into a mod to demonstrate how it could be done.

I especially like the idea of having a setting or a slider when building a world to set the top speed of the world. This would be easy to do, and reduce the number of mods I use by 1.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file