Movable/Toggable UI elements, UI Profiles, OLED friendliness

Zoli K. shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

Cheers!

If you are playing long enough you will almost run into situations when some UI element is in your way overlapping the point of interest of your current building/docking whatever action. HUD mods do great improvements to HUD UI but they usually do not let you to quickly customize the in-game UI.

Example: when I am docking my ship on a planet and connector is viewed thru a dedicated landing camera mounted near the connector, the in-game toolbar usually is in way as it is covers the docking connector. I can hide the in-game toolbar entirely by hitting Tab twice, but doing so unfortunately my on-screen HUD elements are also hid, so I am loosing my altitude info which is crucial in these situations. So I would need my own logic to group the UI elements or move them around.

What I am talking about is features like these:

- drag/drop of on-screen UI elements individually or grouped

- hide/unhide individual or group of UI elements

- UI may have an 'UI edit mode' if that is easier to implement; player can enter or leave UI edit mode by a click of a key

- ability to create UI profiles for e.g. a landing profile in my above example would hide the toolbar but leave essential HUD elements on-screen

- it is also possible to combine this w skinning (colors, transparency, fonts, fraction branding) but at the minimum it would be enough to let the player switch b/w bright and dark HUD text color or toggling a dark colored background square of HUD inscriptions/elements b/c they can barely seen when you have a white/light background on the screen (e.g. cloud, snow, ice).

An additional positive side effect of a such a customizable UI I described above is that it would somehow improve OLED friendliness of the game. As we know OLED screens, at least current generation of them, are not suitable for games having menus/toolbars in fixed locations of the screen - and 99% of the games fall into this category - b/c of burn in. So a less 'hard-coded' in-game UI would make the game somehow OLED friendly for current generation of OLED screens.

Thx for your time!

Replies (1)

photo

Great idea!I´ve been just thinking about it these days... let´s say, I´m flying my ship, but I don´t want all those button-bar showing bellow. So, I could hide it and leave the other infos showing up, instead of all using TAB.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file