Better way to plan builds [building QOL]

spiegel shared this feedback 3 years ago
Submitted

I've had this game ever since it came out.

Something I've wished it had ever since then was a better way to plan out builds before they went into 'production' and were welded. To this day each individual block must be placed by hand at every stage of progression in-game and I find this incredibly tedious and archaic, this is even the case in creative mode. The ctrl and Ctrl+shift functionality is insufficient. The addition of blueprints was a great improvement that really gave more building options to the game along with projectors however I feel like there is still one thing missing from those two production components.

I would like to be able to build a functional block similar to the hologram table that allows you to build within a simulated building environment where you can pan your camera around what you're building and place projected blocks to plan out builds in advance which can then be saved as blueprints. This would only be a projection of what is built inside the functional block and would exist natively within the block only. These plans could be saved as blueprints for you to use in 'production' exactly the same way ships are built now. It isn't anything more than a way to more efficiently plan out ship designs in advance so you can save time and energy before committing to building and welding the final build.

It's almost like a very simple autocad program for SE. These guys are engineers with supercomputers available to them yet they don't plan out their designs like normal engineers would. Doesn't that seem a bit strange, like a giant gap missing in their engineering pedigree? It would fit with their theme and lore quite well along with improving the QOL of the player's building experience. Making it require a block to enter into this 'SE-CAD' view would make it fit in with progression and placing blocks by hand would of course still remain for when you are starting out. I just believe this is a very fundamental feature of building that has existed in similar titles from their start yet that is sorely missing in SE, the game I would prefer to see it in.

Thank you for reading and I hope you consider adding this feature to the game.

Replies (1)

photo

I also think a CAD block would go a long way to streamline building in survival, or just in general. In this CAD space you could get rid of the Character's inventory and limitations entirely and use the keys you'd normally use for movement and character control to help building, it probably be a lot more intuitive.

It could also be a way to incorporate mods like build vision or build info, as the build's basic stats could be displayed in the CAD block, like for example weight, maximum power, cargo and fuel capacity, air tight rooms. As it would make sense for a computer to be able to run basic simulations.

photo

I agree! Freeing up the perspective from a 'character' to a computational perspective which would allow for much larger scale and precision, would give the game a lot more creative flexibility and power while also saving people time that would be wasted needlessly. The CAD block could have x, y, and z, views of the ship you're building that could be adjusted in slices from 0,0,0 and a grid view the size of individual blocks, which would help with measurement and space planning. The actual CAD program has something like this I believe.

Those other benefits you mentioned would be a great addition as well. Being able to see where airtight spaces are functional and other systems like power and conveyor flow, along with weight and mass of each block or of the ship in total would really flesh the game out and make it feel like a complete experience. The CAD block could also show where a ship is damaged and needs repairs, which would take inspiration from mods, but is a totally necessary QOL addition especially for damage that is internal within a hull. I'm imagining a ship on the hologram table with damaged blocks that have a red hue instead of the usual blue hue. It would definitely streamline the game in many ways.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file