Fusion Thrusters: High performance endgame propulsion

Auhrii shared this feedback 4 years ago
Submitted

Fusion reactors have been suggested to death, and shot down just as often - but what if those reactors didn't produce net power, and were instead used to build thrusters that make conventional Hydrogen rockets look like birthday candles?

I propose a third... fourth? tier in propulsion - a high-thrust, high-efficiency thruster that uses both power and Hydrogen; specifically, far less Hydrogen than conventional H2 thrusters, but a considerable amount of power, roughly on the scale of several small to one large nuclear reactor.

This would give obscenely large ships a viable means of propulsion that doesn't eat entire Ice asteroids for breakfast, and reduces the required number of conveyors for thrusters.

Make them big. Make the exhaust capable of cutting inferior ships in two. Give us POWER.

Replies (1)

photo

I love the idea, I was actually thinking the exact same thing, to have a fusion thruster you'd need hydrogen and a reactor.

About the amount of power requires I'd say little less than 1 small reactor for the small version, and probably the equivalent for the large thruster.

Plus, I'd say no small grid version for it.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file