Electrical cable or portable battery

Erik Pusch shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

I would love to see some kind of thick electrical cable to transfer energy. I know that this is possible via connectors. But, as an example, when you land on a planet with the atmo lander and want to save the energy from the batteries or rather transfer it to your newly built station, there hardly is a way to salvage the energy from the big batteries other than transporting the whole battery over or attach a connector to both lander and station (what if you already dismantled the thrusters from the lander and there is still tons of juice in the batteries left?).

Either have a blog like an electrical outlet for both sides (atmo lander and station) and then have a cable to connect the two to transfer the energy or: have some kind of stackable transportable battery to be able to transport the energy in tangible form out of a grid to a new one.

Probably the cable idea would be a bit more practical.

Replies (6)

photo

I love this idea, there is a workaround for it, but its not an 'engineering way', its more of a 'do it this way because theres no better way'. You can transport power between two places by connecting the battery together with unbuilt light armor blocks to the grid you want to transfer to, then set target to charge, other side to discharge.

Having a cable or the like to transfer energy like that would be great. Not sure it'd even be possible since most everything in the game seems rigid, and must take up N exact squares

photo

Take and drop battery that doesn't require welding grinding or components can power crap to make it work. (Cargo boxes connectors merge blocks interior lights etc. but nothing serious.)

photo

Battery like the oxygen bottles.

photo

I've requested this for YEARS. We can carry O2 and Hydrogen to stay outside longer, why not a portable battery pack to prolong suit power? That way, if you just need to walk around and inspect things, you aren't tied to a vehicle or Medbay.

photo
photo

typo: Either have a bloCK like an electrical outlet...

I was inspired by the ImmersiveEngineering mod for Minecraft which offers hanging cables to transfer energy.

photo

I suggested the cable or a more general hose (also for gases and potentionally liquids) ~2 months ago:

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/hosecable

At least it was not yet declined ...

In real world the hose/cable is "standard" way of refilling any vehicle. Normally you don't have to align the car at gas station at precise coordinates.

photo

just use pistons, they bend so much you wont notice the difference

Leave a Comment

Attach a file