This object is in archive! 

[01.187.204] general state of game is becoming worse with each minor update

Nikolas March shared this feedback 6 years ago
Declined

general state of game is becoming worse with each minor update, i would like to suggest there is a problem within KSWH, something is causing things to break that are not even being mentioned or touched, a problem with code merging, or code assets for when a project is started?please can we have some time spent to investigate this.

Replies (8)

photo

How do you know they are "not even being touched"?

photo

I seem to remember reports that KSH's versioning was atrocious, and that several different people working on different versions was the culprit for a lot of random bugs, especially bug that get "squashed" repeatedly. I don't think it's really getting much worse at the moment though, not really getting much better and it definitely slid downhill from the MP major, but I expected that.

photo

What you are describing is a common engineering practice, Branching & Merging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhD5VveZhw

photo

yeah 'not being touched' is assumption on my part, but why touch something and include it in an update, just l;eave it til its finished being touched, or if it has been touched and improved, why not mention it...

photo

Basically, that's the way development works. You make changes for one purpose. In a large project it is impossible to know everything downstream that could be impacted by a minor change. If that is a problem for you, you should wait until the game has been released out of early access and has had all of its future content released and patched before you play it. "

Line by line changes do not equate to fixes or features. "Changed return of GetCountOfThings() to double from Int32." What use is that to you if you can't see the source code? Do you even know what the difference is between those two things? Do you know what or how many parts of the program call GetCountOfThings() ? If that value gets passed around or is used in a few different areas, do you know how many of them will fail if the value is no longer an Int32? The answer is "No, you don't." and that's why it's not "mentioned"...

photo

What they say: "fixed most common crashes in DS and SP"

What happens: Mod downloading stalls 200% more regularly, voxel corruption on DS now guaranteed within an hour, COM indicator now only works when a turret is active. Oh, but now the game crashes on load in instead of when grinding projections!

How the f does this make sense? We fixed wheels! Thrusters now shut off randomly!

This break 2 things to fix 1 is getting tiresome. It gets to the point, when I find a bug I consciously decide whether reporting it is worth risking breaking something new.

There's a typo in the server select screen. RIP cockpits.... (walks away muttering like a madman).

photo

Crashing on Load doesn't corrupt the world, crashing after saving a bad value into the world can corrupt it and leave the world unusable even after the crash is fixed. As for everything else, it sounds like early access games aren't for you.

photo

No, they sure aren't. SE was the first EA game I've ever purchased, and is definitely the last.

photo

whatever process they have to locate, fix, and test bugs in their code needs to be changed or looked over, because it seems that one patch will fix "issue #1-5" then in patch 2 "issue #6-10" is fixed, but "issue #1-5" is broken again, now there is an "issue #11" because someone forgot to add a reference for a string or someone didn't properly annotate a definition.

photo

Jeez zoidbeeg over here seems to be a coder instead of a doctor.

The point of our frustration is how things seem to be taking 1 step forward 2 steps back. I haven't been able to play for weeks because the game takes up 16gb of my 16gb of memory, plus 12 gb of pagefile cache.

My DS can barely start without a steam violation occurring, and the DS seems to use more pagefile than it does memory, causing slowdowns in areas where there shouldn't be. Optimization seems like it was thrown out the window and I don't like that, so I'm going to voice my opinion.

photo

Yep. and it irks me to no end when people "suggest" better ways to do something when they don't have the slightest idea how they work. Believe me I understand more than most. I'm closing in on 8k hours in SE. I don't berate people over bugs. What I will not tolerate is bad feature design, clumsy controls and, a general failure to follow through on an Idea. Players: "We want planets to do stuff on." KSH: 'Here are some empty ones, Trees are just props, you can't have wood in the future. also all water is ice"....

photo

I don't have any problem with ram. 60% cpu utilization, 90% gpu utilization. 5gb vram and 7.8GB ram being used. Running SE in 1920x1080 window along with multiple tabs in a browser, streaming music on youtube all running on a virtual super resolution of 3200x1800. Before KSWH started polishing the game there was no way I could have done that.

photo

well its not gotten that bad for most of us, that seems more like a problem with your system

photo

Hello, Engineer.

Please send a report to "Submit a Bug".

And be sure to include:

-Reproduction steps

-World/save files

-Videos/screen shots

Log files

Log files are located in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers and so is saves folder.

Note that AppData is by default in windows a hidden folder, so if you cannot find it, you need to enable visibility of hidden folders. Here is guide how to do it step by step: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

Cheers!

Keen Sooftware House

http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/

Like us on https://www.facebook.com/SpaceEngineers

Follow us on http://twitter.com/SpaceEngineersG

Replies have been locked on this page!