Blueprint management through versioning and categorization

Ciro shared this feedback 13 days ago
Not Enough Votes

I find the current blueprint system to be a bit rudimentary. One of the main uses of the projector and blueprints is to cast a projection on an existing grid for easy repairs, usually on fighter ships, so they can fly near a welder wall and get repairs quickly. On a game where modifying and upgrading your vehicles is the intended way to play, the current system forces you to manually take a new blueprint, and then go to all of the projectors using that blueprint and swapping them manually. Many times you will end up having to readjust the projector offsets, which is more work for each modification of your ship.

On the other hand, you end up piling up multiple blueprints of your ship, combined with every other blueprint you have ever saved or subscribed to, unless you manually remove them. This makes it sometimes hard to find the blueprint you're looking for, specially if you forgot the name you gave it, or if you left the default grid name. For these reasons I propose the following:

• Blueprint versioning: When taking blueprints of the same grid over and over again, automatically saving them to the same "master blueprint" with a new version number (just and autoincrementing integer). Then, projectors could have an option to always display the latest available version of a blueprint or a fixed version. This would be very useful for modding existing blueprints without having to reconfigure existing projectors
  • Blueprint groups/folders: This has already been posted on other suggestions, but I thought it was worth mentioning this here too. When you have lots of blueprints, specially when many of them are just parts of a bigger build, it becomes hard to look through them on a single flat column. This forces you to either learn every single blueprint name or to constantly purge blueprints to keep the amount small. Allowing them to be organized by folders/groups would make it really easy to manage them, specially for creators, for categorizing different vehicle builds by type or class. Maybe a tagging system would be more useful for builds that fit multiple categories

Leave a Comment

Attach a file