Let the players decide where do they store their save files

Luppen shared this feedback 36 days ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello! I am a space engineers player.

I have recently lost all my creations due to a windows bug. Windows was unable to load desktop basically, which meant that i was unable to run appdata, and to back my files up. I did not even think about such thing since those files were supposed to be temporary. Unfortunately all my game data was lost due to this windows bug as i resolved it by reinstalling windows.

I would like to propose the idea of the players being able to select a save folder for their blueprints, or not even that, but to select a predefined location for example Documents/Spaceengineers/Saves folder by default in case of windows. I am not sure how would it be possible to get a similarly strong folder with other operation systems, but probably just use the folder steam is using for the game as a default save folder location

In the appdata only store the string required to locate the folder the player is choosing to store its creations, and saves, such that when windows dies the player just sets the save folder containing its creations aftermath, because the loss of a reference is not that big of an issue as losing the actual data. Saved files must not be temporary.

In order to ensure backwards compatibility, recognize when the appdata is used as the location of save folder, prompt the player on game start that its data is in the temporary folder, and issue it to move its files to a desired folder instead. The player will select the new Save folder directory, and you are going to store only that string in the appdata, no other not temporary files. While you issue the player, do not forget to reference the actual folder in the appdata that the player must cut, paste to its selected not temporary folder, or do not forget that the game should try to resolve the movement of the files itself programmatically.

Choosing no temporary folder for save file storage will ensure the theoritical data to be held to be not restricted by the temporary file size limit due to the appdata folder

Leave a Comment

Attach a file