Farsight with sprites

Luppen shared this feedback 3 days ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello! I am a space engineers player.

I would like to propose an idea of the players being able to see space ships, stations, and asteroids from very far away using sprites of the grids, and voxels.

Store at least 6 pieces of low resolution pictures of ships, one for each direction. From afar just show the side the most visible, and skew it according to view angle.

Asteroids will need something similar in order to cover the ships.

Generate 3 low resolution pictures regarding x,y, and z axis of each asteroid using the very algorythm that generates the asteroid. Do not regard wether the asteroid is mined away or not since it will regenerate anyway just by leaving it by 5 kilometers. I do not mind if you will regard it though, i am just trying to give advice. Place the respective picture of the 3 generated sprites of each asteroid, and skew it according to view angle while the player is looking at it from so far away that the voxels of it are not loaded.

- It might be possible to create a sprite of each asteroid for each 45 degree cardinal angle. That will be 13 sprites = from the direction of 3 side pairs + 6 edge pairs + 4 vertex pairs

- Asteroid sprites are low resolution enough that the player should not be able to tell wether it is the back, or the front of the asteroid

- Asteroid sprites are lit by the sun without shadows of asteroid surface features

- When it comes to grids, the color of the grid has to give a clue about the ship's orientation, Also using 26 sprites instead of 6 should be better aswell using the 45 degree angles (26 = from the directions of 6 sides + 12 edges + 8 vertices)

- All sprite generation has to be isometric which i expect will make it sort of easy to do

Leave a Comment

Attach a file