This object is in archive! 

Improvements for Encounters

Andrey Kleshchev shared this feedback 4 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Retrofitting ships and stations you find is one of the most enjoyable parts of space engineers, but it can always be made better. Here are some issues and suggestions:

1. 'Mayday' spawn rate is arguably too high for SP, often I'm exploring one mayday signal and two more are suddenly in range.

Suggestion: add a minimum distance between 'Mayday' signals and make it modable. May be make that minimal distance mass based, so that smaller signals could be closer to each other.

2. Most Encounters seem to be on the larger side. It is fun to get your hands on something early, but in my latests playthrough I run into 4 large encounters one after another within first hour and it negatively affected my gameplay because suddenly I was covered for resources.

Suggestion: bigger variety of smaller encounters: drop pods, relay sats, ships up to the size of old yellow spawner. Control encounter rate/frequency based on encounter's mass, so that meeting a large encounter will ensure you won't see anything for a while.

3. Planets are very 'bare' of this feature, please support planetary encounters. Both as a stationary wrecks and dynamic ones (seeing a ship crash not far from you can be epic).

4. Cargo of encounters appears to be always empty sans some ammo and full tanks.

Suggestion: may be there should be 'mission cargo' in some? Tablets with economy station or other wreck's coordinates?

5. It's weird that encounters are always SPRT. As if other factions have no issues. I feel like this feature can easily generate some faction ships that generate short missions like 'take our black box, inform our faction, repair our antennae, tug our wreck to this location, protect us'.

6. Players are the only ones reacting to encounters. Surely there could be competition?

Suggestion: if player doesn't respond to an encounter for too long (and sometimes early) some faction will come and blast SPRT apart. Not necessary physically, given the distance, a beacon from some other faction approaching the mayday before both vanish can be fair enough. Or when player visits an encounters regularly without turning off own signals, player might find a hostile surprise.

7. Player outranges cargo ships' and encounters' guns too much nowadays.

8. A bit more variety to the way you detect encounters would be nice. Like a trail of beacons and trash to some, Having to extract position of the wreck from a relay.

8. Please update encounters and economy with new blocks (ex: some still use passages for beds).

Leave a Comment

Attach a file