This object is in archive! 

A Purely Cosmetic Solution to Small Blocks in Large Grids...

Cyrus Draegur shared this feedback 13 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I'm sure every single person who has ever played Space Engineers went through all five stages of grief when they discovered they can't simply snap small grid items to the large grid.

I have only just recently begun playing and distinctly, freshly remember my "wait, what? ... REALLY? You're KIDDING. WTF! Well. That sucks." moment. Over the past several days I perused the various reasons as to why small grids on large grids can't be done, and they all boil down to:

- Physics

- Logistics

- Systems interactions

- Calculations

THEREFORE, if we simply don't process any physics, logistics, systems interactions, or calculations, and make it purely cosmetic, then... clearly there would be no problem.

I propose the following solution:

When you wish to decorate the interior of a large grid structure (or ship), you place a SPECIAL large-grid module whose job it is to be a pass-through 5x5x5 container for PURELY COSMETIC, NON-FUNCTIONAL small-grid items. The Small Grid Cosmetic Module.

It WILL NOT:

- Change the mass of the SGCM

- Change the durability of the SGCM

- Make objects within the SGCM interactive

- Provide power TO nor draw power FROM small grid objects within the SGCM

- Transfer items INTO nor OUT OF small grid objects within the SGCM

- Enable objects within the SGCM to interface with the control panel of the large grid structure

You can place conveyors, batteries, storage, etc, BUT they are cosmetic only and non-functional.

BUT AT LEAST YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DECORATE!

Possible upshot: maybe small grid objects placed in the SGCM don't even have to be fully built, because we don't want the SGCM to incur the database load of storing the items that would've been used to construct those objects, right? Make it as LIGHT WEIGHT AS POSSIBLE in terms of processing.

At most, the static collision mesh could probably be influenced, so you don't just clip through the objects like they're a hologram.

Could also be argued that chairs and other furniture should still be 'sittable' but on the other hand, if process load really is the problem here, then even if you can't even sit in a chair, the visual presence will be nice enough on its own.

(But if you want functional small grid objects as a part of your large grid structures or ships, guess we're still gonna be stuck using the rotor trick. Oh well)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file