This object is in archive! 

Suggestion: AI Cruise Control

Brandon P shared this feedback 8 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I have a suggestion for a new AI autopilot mode: Cruise Control.

Think of it like flying with the dampeners off, except that the ship will be able to avoid asteroids and other ships. IE the AI Task block has the cruise control mode and when enabled, this mode simply holds the ship's current course and speed unless it encounters an object, in which case it will avoid collision and resume original course and speed.

Perhaps it'd also be useful to add in extra safeguards such as stopping the ship if natural gravity goes over a threshold - although this could probably be done with an Event Controller alongside the Cruise Control autopilot.

I've tried doing this with sensor setups and a few other things but I can't get it work very well. Having this kind of system would open up exploration to more players who are struggling to get enough resources to build & power Jump Drives - I've played 1200 hours of this game and I've only ever found Uranium once. Having ships able to automatically hold course and avoid collisions is a good alternative, albeit a much slower one.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file