This object is in archive! 

Solar Panels affected by weather beneath them

David Fincher shared this feedback 8 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I've been experimenting with creating a base that can remain airborne indefinitely using solar and battery power - and while it has a somewhat limited payload capacity, it seems it is indeed possible to create an array that's light enough that it can be lifted with less power than it can sustain.

However, it's running into a situation where the power output of the solar array will just dip at various times despite the solar tracking array having a completely clear view of the sun in the middle of the day.

Connecting remotely into cameras on a nearby ground station does show that there's weather at ground level, and I assume that's the cause, but these storm systems just aren't visible at three kilometres above the ground.

I realise it's a minor complaint (and, indeed, the station has enough generation/storage capacity to survive occasional inclement weather, as well as a small reactor and parachutes for emergencies), but the disjoint of the weather having a mechanical effect at this altitude but not a visual one is still jarring.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file