This object is in archive! 

UX: warn before cutting grids that can't be pasted

AdaRynin shared this feedback 8 months ago
Not Enough Votes

On a multiplayer server, the host gave me admin permissions and asked me to cut (ctrl-x) his ship and paste (ctrl-v) it somewhere else. The game let me cut the grid with the standard warning that cut means delete and the only copy is now in my clipboard. Only when I wanted to paste it, I got a second warning that I did not have the required DLC to paste all of it. I pasted it and some blocks were missing.

Usually when something is deleted (or made unrestoreable) by a user action, the users is warned _before_ that, and not after. When I press ctrl-X without having the DLC, the dialog should say (roughly) "If you cut this grid, it is deleted and stored in your clipboard, but you don't have the DLCs and you will not be able to paste all blocks, and the pasted grid may split. Do you still want to cut it, or cancel?"

Then we would have had the choice to cancel cutting and pick a different player who has the DLC to do this, or the choice to use a different method of transfer. In this case, the host had to press F5 to get the full grid back and we lost a few minutes of work.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file