This object is in archive! 

Grid Guide Rails

Kelp shared this feedback 14 months ago
Not Enough Votes

TLDR: A system where guide rails could be used inside grids to ensure the smooth launch/movement of attached grids. Useful for firing missiles/drones on the move (unless you like them striking the walls of your ship). In essence merge block that allows 1 dimensional movement over its length.

Since the launch of the automatons update, the prospect of guided missile/drone based vehicles has been a central focus of mine and many others. however, there is a growing problem to any missile/drone launch system that launches from inside the vehicle as opposed to on the outside of the vehicle. There is a tendency for the missiles/drones to strike internal components of a given vehicle on launch (especially when the launch vehicle is moving), often causing a poor/no launch, damage, or even an internal explosion. Additionally, most internal missile systems require heavy use of internal sub-grids, which can prove unreliable at best and a liability in combat at worst.

I would suggest Keen implements a set of blocks that function as guide rails for sub-grids to move/slide along their parent grid smoothly along one axis, stopping all other unwanted movement until the rail runs out of length. Most, if not all real missile systems use some kind of guide rail for this exact reason, though it is notable on the MK-41 VLS and its SM-3 platform (see below). Seeing as the MK-41 is the most widespread VLS platform in the world, they might have been on to something.

This block would act as though one had combined a series of pistons with a merge block on the moving end, allowing the internal grid to move with the launch vehicle, instead of into it, with the capability to determine maximum movement speed along the rail and locking up the movement if needed. this block would also have to be cross compatible with small and large grid grids simultaneously, allowing for small grid missiles/drones to be printed inside a large grid rail, without the use of a separate sub grid for printing missiles on the 1x1 or 3x3 small grid merge blocks, allowing power transfer at the very least and possibly streamlining refuelling/rearming connectors, moving away from sub-grids for 1x1 small connectors.

This addition could significantly bridge the practicality gap that exists with using missile/drone based vehicles against gun only alternatives. New combat tactics and metas would spring up from this addition, now that having a missile system isn't a massive Klang risk and would allow firing on the move during a battle. Engagement range would be more of a factor in combat, and air/space defence platforms could see more use of missiles/drones across the board, leading to my favourite phenomenon of anti-missile missile systems. But this likely wont happen while my 3x3 missile still hits the ~5x5 exit door half the time i try launching it, while stationary.

to those who made it this far, thanks for your time.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file