This object is in archive! 

[Automatons Beta] Pathfinding indoors/route updating

Andrew Stanton shared this feedback 20 months ago
Not Enough Votes

So I tested the Ai move and Ai task blocks in a maze, which is among the harder challenges for a drone ofc, and I found that the drone doesn't really update it's route when in circle mode.

Basically, I had a start and end it could navigate between, which it did very well in terms of routing, even if colission avoidance was very underpowered, meaning it got caught on edges very easily, but also if the drone got stuck or the grid changed it didn't reroute itself without me having to go to the Ai Task block and resetting the pathfinding manually or it reaching either ends GPS marker. If the grid changed, it didn't know until it had made it to the end, which is an issue if it's trying to phase through a shut hangar door to get there.

I think a timer should be implemented that, if the drone is stationary when it's trying to fly somewhere, counts down until it backs up a bit and looks for another way. Or maybe it just checks line of sight to the waypoint every so often, rerouting if there is no sightline. That and better collision avoidance will be necessary if a drone is going to be working somewhere where there might be routine changes to a grid, like a shipyard or hangar. There's seemingly no "backing up" in the drones pathfinding (then again I don't know how exactly the AI works)

Furthermore it cuts corners way to much, getting caught on simple armor blocks and will not at any point try backing up to reorientate or reroute. Checking line of sight between all 8 edges of the drone (rather than center of mass) and it's next waypoint might be good, or projecting the grids hotbox towards the waypoint and seeing if it clips anything. But I'm no expert, so take that with some salt

Leave a Comment

Attach a file