This object is in archive! 

Some thoughts about construction

Hi.James shared this feedback 15 months ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello, every space engineers. Here are my thoughts about construction, because I like construction instead of fighting.

>Imporve Ore Detect Method(Strongly Recommend)

>>>Just roughly show its outline in hud.

>>>if you are getting away, it just gradually shrink to a tiny dot with a name.

>Larger Ore Area(Strongly Recommend)

>>>Maybe about twice as large as current in game.

>Linear Moudule(Strongly Recommend)

>>>It's a kind of machine part. With it I can build some 3-axis machines easily, such as machine center. Then I don't need to build wheels surround a pillar, which is a repetive and boring job.

>>>It's different from piston. It can be built by single blocks and it still in the same grid in game. Theoretically, it can be built in an indefinitely length.

>>>Also, it has a slider on it. Just like the top piston part - allows the transfer of power and items, goes forwards and backwards.

>Improve CustomName Display

>>>Currently, you can choose the option "Show On Hud", but you have to open the control panel and then use the mouse to click the option. It's not so convenient.

>>>For example, the remote control block doesn't have the panel to open the control panel and each time when I need to confirm the CustomName of it, I have to do switch on and off that option time after time. because I just need to confirm the name at the moment and don't want too many GPS singals on the Hud.

>>>I hope that if we hold a welder or grinder and stay near the block, we can see the CustomName in the information list on the right side of the screen.

>Better View of Planet(Not so important)

>>>Especially the earth. Too much mountain without sea(I mean a large ice lake across maybe a half of the earth). If you are going to add some water in this game, please add some waterfall and stream, not just small pool.

>>>All these mountain are just dull and block the sun. It makes me feel like I'm just staying in a small room. I like building constructure, so I need a big flat area.

>Larger Earth(Not so important)

>>>Larger earth will have a smaller ground curve.

Further envisage:

My folloing ideas are about interection which may need a good AI to support and luckly Keen Software House really have a GOOD AI.

Currently, player interaction with NPCs is one-way, such as going to NPC stations to trigger "actions". On the contrary, I hope that NPC can interact with the player actively and the base or station player has built can provide some useful function to NPC.

My envisage is that if you built an airport with connectors and so on, NPC will come to your base occasionally and connect to your base. Maybe we just construct the airport according to certain rules of the game that can trigger that event. This rule can be some blocks require, such as the antenna to communicate with the NPC's ship; a ground guide station block (currently there is no such block in the game, this is my imaginary one) for guiding AI ships down automatically, which inspired by real-life airports; also a radar is needed (currently there is no such block too); and a block for setting some configuration to tell the area where NPC can land etc...

Well, if we realize that envisage above, we can have a big story to tell. Do you think, when you are alone in the monotonous space, occasionally a "real person" comes to meet you, what kind of feeling it is? It's amazing! We can give some meaning to their arrival. Maybe they need to refill the tank, maybe they need to recharge the ship, maybe they need more food, maybe they have a casualty for treatment and the like.

For maintaining those service above you can hire some "workers" which are contorlled by AI of course. Some of them for planting, some of them for mining, some of them for therapy. At this moment, you are not alone and the station is full of life. If you think big, it will develop into a town even a city. This might be the space station of the future, which in people's imagination.

Well, I know it's a big project and Keen Software House has already done a lot of jobs and created many interesting things in game. But as a SE fan, I'm full of good wishes and ideas for this game. Thank you for reading the whole text. Anyone who have a good idea is welcome to supplement.

Enjoy the game!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file