This object is in archive! 

Ideas for improving survival

33iRobot33 shared this feedback 21 months ago
Not Enough Votes

I know this is really big topic but since a few years im asking myself how Keen's look at this topic is. Do they rather invest time in improved building, new blocks etc. or is the engine limitting the possibilities for the world to be filled with more (extinct) life. I think the biggest problem with survival mode is that the world just feels empty. Well anyways here are a few ideas for improving survival mode:

- More and improved encounters: Imagine flying through space and you suddenly find an old abandoned ship in which after looking around you find some hints about a hidden research station. You follow the track and find it to gather some rare materials or items. You could also come across some hostile mercenarys (upcoming npc/ai update) and have to fight your way in.

- New contracts: For example like an attack on some enemy ship or station. Would make a lot of fun since the warfare update gave us the possibility to have great fights in Space Engineers.

- Rework of the ressource system: Maybe add new ores or change where you find them. Make the player explore new planets for ressources or find random encounters to salvage them for rare ores. Currently only platinum and uranium are kinda harder to get but i think you can work on that system to greatly improve the motivation to explore in survival mode.

- More threats: Here you can do a lot of things. Having a group of raiders attack you (again upcoming npc/ai update) or maybe even a new monster on the alien planet which is capable of fighting a small vehicle to be a real challenge. Just a reason to fight for your survival and build defences. And things like meteor shower or wolfs are too generic and just get annoying over time.

The main theme here is making the player not feeling alone in the world. I think a good example could be minecraft. Do you remember how the world was back when it released? It was kinda empty and there wasn't much to do except building a house that looks nice. And compare that to nowadays. There has been added so much content for exploration that you got much more motivation to just walk around and find new things and gather rare ressources. Imagine this direction for Space Engineers. I would really love to see a survival mode filled with life and enough motivation to keep you exploring and building the tools you need for your journey.

Do you agree with me or would you prefer to see more improvements on creative mode focused features? I would really like to hear your opinion.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file