This object is in archive! 

Combat refinement and tiered combat ranges

Joni Lindfors shared this feedback 23 months ago
Not Enough Votes

What I am suggesting is adding The Expanse style of tiered combat range system ranges of 6km, for the new weapon type suggestion, 4km for rail guns and 2km for turret AI engagement range for artillery and assault cannon turrets. The range numbers are simply suggestions.

The furthest range would require the addition of 2 blocks and a new type of weapons. The first of which is some kind of a radar system and the second is a guided anti ship missile/torpedo. Let me first talk a bit about the radar. With the engagement range suggestions I'd say the radar have 2km further range than the torpedoes themselves so 8km, not only would it increase awareness of ones surroundings but it would also make it properly possible to drive ships from deep within battlestar galactica style without having to rely on cameras or 3rd person view. These could be akin to phased array radar plates on actual combat ships so that you could not just slap down a single block and get full coverage.

Next are the torpedoes, I decided on this suggestion as player made weapons tend to wreak havoc on servers thus making them practically unusable in multiplayer. So what I am suggesting is a block similar to the rocket launcher but maybe slightly larger, say 1x1x4 for a suggestion, that fires a single large guided rocket with the explosive yield of a large warhead for example. These would be guided using the radar and could be shot down similar to rockets but with more hitpoints to take incoming fire as not to make them useless. Now I know player made weapons and torpedoes exist but they are not known as server killers for nothing as they tend to be unusable in multiplayer, now I am not a game developer or a modder but I suspect that a rocket style weapon would not be quite as hard to run for a server.

The other tiers of engagement would be more strait forward. The increase of railgun range to 4km making it the 2nd tier similar to the tv show 'The Expanse' And finally the closest tier increasing the range of Artillery and assault cannon turret AI to 2km making in the closest tier. Point defense style weapons and small ship turrets are fine as they are.

This idea was sparked by the fact that the game now quite comfortably supports larger ships round 300 to 400 meters in length which introduces the unique problem where as your frontally mounted turrets can be comfortably in range while the rear ones are still some hundreds of meters out of range and that just feels off to me. Not only that the lack of a radar or a similar system still bothers me as that is such a key feature of any ship in reality, military or civilian. Now I know we got the ability to lock on and scan targets which is awesome, but it just doesn't feel the same as having a radar screen on your bridge or fighter cockpit

Leave a Comment

Attach a file