This object is in archive! 

True vector capable thrusters (not VTOL/Rotor)

Zanath Kariashi shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Quite simply I'm looking for modern vector capable thrusters to be added to the game.

About 30-40% more expensive in advanced components than non-vectored thrusters, and capable of providing omni-directional thrust. (100% thrust in their primary facing, 85% thrust in adjacent facings, 15% thrust in opposite facings).

While having them properly animated would be nice, I'll consider that a bonus, I just want to see the functionality properly implemented so the stupidity of needing thrusters in every direction on every design can finally die. (we've had this tech for like 70 years now, and SE is like 50+ years further in the future, so it's silly non-vectored thrust is our only option (or having to use an over-engineered monstrosity that is hardly used IRL because there's much more efficient and simple ways of doing it).

Vectored thrusters are identical to non-vectored thrusters in terms of animation (unless you WANT to actually animate them properly with the nozzles/housing/thrust-stream slightly adjusting depending on the direction of the thrust being applied), and only have a few small visual ques to them being different. (i.e. more internal control surfaces if you look inside, and/or scales on the nozzle itself to show it's capable of gimbling).

This would significantly decrease the amount of thrusters needed in most general purpose designs (generally only requiring opposite facings for full control), while also letting you design much more realistic looking modern crafts. Only very specialized creations would need more than 2 facings where extremely fine control or extra reenforcement in certain facings under specific situations would be needed.

I.e. you could have a large vectored thruster in back and two small non-vectored forward breaking thrusters to create a small compact fighter with full thruster coverage and breaking power, or you could use vectored thrusters in the front to make it even faster and more maneuverable (but more expensive in components), as they'd be able to add some of their own thrust capacity to the adjacent and rear facing.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file