This object is in archive! 

Using a APIPA or 169.254 to do muliplayer games.

Jesse shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello Keen,

I was hoping on getting some support on connecting to a server using a APIPA or 169.254 address.

Here is what I did, and Space Engineers did not work.

I connecting my laptop and the laptop of my friends computer together. Using a Patch cable.

I went to the network and sharing center, and set this connection as a private connection.

I did the command in command prompt, IPconfig and got the IP address of this connection, (it was a APIPA address, or 169.254 address.) I was able to ping both ways no issues, (I verified connection here by pinging and was successful)

We both launched space engineers, I tried connecting to his game and his game said that it was not able to connect. We made sure that the game was set to play with friends can join. Also we used WIFI to connect to the internet.

I am thinking that the port was not open on the firewall, on this connection and only allow incoming connections from one NIC card.

the reason why I wanted to do it this way is to reduce latency and increase bandwidth. If you do remember we where able to ping each other, and there was a proper connection on this interface. I have attached a paint version of what the connection looks like,

Leave a Comment

Attach a file