This object is in archive! 

In-game Clang Overlay: Utility to find out what part causes forces.

Peares Subverse shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

We are Engineers of complex mechanisms, but all of us have asked the same questions: Why does my ship spin? Where's the CLANG come from? What happens if I enable share inertial dampening? and all hail Kraken? We spend countless times scratching our helmets and banging our heads tweaking the smallest of rotor and piston settings to get the landing gear, ramp or X to work. Something needs a to change, something to help us find the deepest of causes, A Tool, so Powerful and simple that could replace all torque and measuring tapes, Enginneeresses and Engineers, may I present: The SHOW FORCE Checkbox

It's as easy as 1,2,3: 1 open the terminal, 2 go to the Info tab, 3 check the show force checkbox, and presto! Watch as lines appear from the blocks that cause torque and the direction of the force the part is causing. Follow the simple color code: Green for gyroscopes, Blue for Thrusters, yellow for rotors, pistons and hinges, and red For collisions of sub grids.

Okay setting aside the infomercial, I think the main Idea is in the overall title, we already have debug features for sensor ranges, turret rays, antenna ranges, sensor ranges and center of mass. Having a Force Projection Overlay could help out everybody new and veteran players who are either experimenting for the first time or are engineering their next big contraptions. To take a few points from the infomercial: Color-coded lines with vectors originating from the block that causes them. This could be Pistons, Hinges, Rotors, Suspensions, Gyroscopes, Thrusters, Collisions, Cannon Recoil, or anything that causes any Acceleration. Having this may very well be a good Debugging tool for players as-well as developers from the community and KeenSWH. Consider this a huge reduction in clang related support tickets. It doesn't require a complete overhaul of the behavior of blocks, just a bunch of Debug code, BUT it really is an invaluable tool for pretty much all of Space Engineers.

Thanks for reading and voting!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file