This object is in archive! 

Proportional Navigation AI Offensive block

Ethan Briggs shared this feedback 10 months ago
Not Enough Votes

This has been brought up a couple of times before, but I feel it doesn't get the attention it deserves so I'm posting about it again. Please upvote, reply and share as much as you can to raise awareness.

I noticed during the automatons beta that the AI offensive block contained 3 targeting modes for the "intercept" flight option. Basic, target prediction and proportional Navigation.

Since the launch of the beta, only the former two are present. I find the basic option is underwhelming and can be easily avoided by strafing. The target prediction option makes the missile wildly unstable at times, causing it to frequently miss even stationary targets. I feel like a proportional Navigation option (akin to those used in popular missile scripts already) would be a much better option for a2a guided weaponry, not only is it typically more accurate, it theoretically should allow for functional missiles with only forward thrust as the missile will pivot to face the vector required to hit the target, making the final design smaller, simpler and easier to develop.

Therefore, I'd like to request that keen look into readding this feature to make player made guided missiles an actually viable tactic like we all presumed the update would do in the first place.

Replies (2)

photo

Yea, this needs to happen devs pls!

photo

Being an engineering game, I've always wondered why ai autopilot requires thrust in all directions for things to work, most of the time what players end up building rarely need thrust in 6 directions unless it's a drone

photo

Huh? How the heck do you guys pilot things that DON'T have thrust in each direction??? I mean, on a planet, sure, I can get away with thrust in one direction and gyros to fill a large cargo but in space??

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file