This object is in archive! 

Add guided missiles to vanilla space engineers

Voltem shared this feedback 2 years ago
Not Enough Votes

Hello

Now that warfare 2 has officially come out, one of the main lack for many players in space engineers has been fixed; the lack of main/static weapons for large ships, because lets face it, missile launchers were the only game in town and they just felt underwhelming. Most players thus used mods or made wacky (though effective) weapons like AI-guided torpedos and the like.

Now, i would like to propose one simple change that has been suggested before and already exists on the worskop in several mods:

Guided missiles.

Give large grid missile launchers (and in my humble opinion, only large grid missile launchers) the ability to fire guided missiles.

These guided missiles would then fly at the targeted grid and target semi-random subsystems (they wouldnt all fire at the same component).

This would provide a motivation to have more point-defense on larger ships, would make AI ships more dangerous, as they would be able to damage attackers without needing to rotate their ships, would make missile launchers actually interesting as secondary armaments on larger ships and most importantly: homing missile swarms are just cool.

Why should this capability be added to vanilla, if it already exists as mods? Because everything a large geid missile launcher does, the artillery/railgun does better. They do more damage, more concentrated, in a more satisfying way. As such the missile launcher on large grids is largely replaced, and i think every weapon in vanilla should be worth using.

What about countermeasures? Im not sure. I would first need to see how the guidance system would work, if gatling turrets/interior turrets or decoys are fairly effective against them, and all of those are a bit in the air right now with the weapons no doubt being adjusted in the near future. Perhaps i might advocate for a laser turret that is terrible at doing damage but is able to deflect missiles well, or flares for small ships.

If you agree with this post, give it a vote.

Any suggestions into the comments below.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Edit: it seems most people are in the feedback section of space engineers>pc support.

I would very much like to move this topic there or delete this one, but i dont think i can do that mysepf, so if any mod were to see this, this would be much apprechiated.

Replies (1)

photo

That idea sound really cool, but there is 3 options for these kind of missiles if they get added to the game :

1) it’s an OP weapon only for endgame players

2) it’s a weapon that you can place on small or big ships but you would have to make maybe a special lock to your target and maybe you would need a kind of distance calculation computer to decrease the locking time. The missile would be very slow (something like 120m/s) and easily stoppable with gatling turrets or even interior turrets

3) it’s not a weapon, but a computer that you can place on a small grid to make your own guided missile

I think the third option could be the best, but the limitation to 100m/s for the grids is really annoying, maybe they should remove the limitation for very special grids.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file