This object is in archive! 

Mystery damage to protected block while drilling

Dan B shared this bug 3 years ago
Submitted

While maneuvering carefully around asteroids in public test with a large grid drill ship, the O2/H2 Generator becomes critically damaged from a full repair without any impact. I know it wasn't hit by anything because it is surrounded by other blocks on all sides and in spite of this, it sustains the most damage, and all blocks adjacent to it receive damage as well. This indicates that it was the first to be "hit".

After the first occurrence of this bug, I fully repaired the ship and tried again. The same bug happened a second time, with even more certainty that I didn't collide it with anything. The ship is well tested and proven reliable in vanilla, so unless there were changes to the distance at which small hydrogen thrusters can damage blocks, I don't see how this could happen. No uranium for me.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi,

Can you pls provide us the blueprint of that ship?

Thanks

photo

-deleted-

photo

-deleted-

photo

I repaired and tested this again today, recording this time, and was able to produce it a third time. It wasn't clear before, but this time it's obvious that the damage was caused by a tiny "voxel sliver" leftover from a cleared asteroid. I actually mentioned this being a problem in a previous post, but leaving behind pieces of voxel barely large enough to see, with effectively infinite mass, is a disaster waiting to happen. It destroyed my drill three times before I finally saw it creep in from the side. I can only imagine how much more of a nuisance this would be if third person were disabled. This has happened so many times over the years, please make the game cull those minuscule leftovers when we drill.

Also notable is a slight "snapback" whenever I turn the ship. I don't know if this is rubberbanding, or a side effect of how the gyro works at lower power, but it didn't feel stable. It's probably just due to the test server being in Oregon when I'm in Wisconsin. 600ms latency and all.

https://youtu.be/NYYe5hIgjao

photo

Thanks for the info

Replies have been locked on this page!