More slots for color picker custom colors

Suicide Neil shared this feedback 5 years ago
Submitted

We need slots for custom colors on the color picker menu- right now there are only the default options and no free slots for any custom colors we wish to create. Please add at least 2 or 3 extra rows below the default options for custom colors that are not deleted when clicking 'reset defaults'.

Please also consider adding true Metalic colors- Gold, Silver & Copper. Shouldn't be too difficult and will allow for some stunning creations and distinction between ranks/levels on multiplayer servers etc etc.

Replies (6)

photo

bump

photo

Bump- I refuse to be stuck with the children's crayon colour pallet ( which is tiny ), and shouldn't have to save blueprints of blocks with my preferred custom colours on- even colour-blind people like W4stedSpace like to build with custom colours and recognise the need to have space to save them without over-writing them constantly due to lack of space on the current pallet. ea634b1fb79d0cfd5fba9cf06c354211

photo

"Value" is just another word for "Hue" or the intensity of the color.

photo

No it isn't, lol- look at the image again. 'Hue' already exists as a separate variable and is the selected colour from the spectrum. 'Value' seems to change intensity though, so you were half right- they just need to make it more obvious what it refers to.

photo

Lol that's a durr on my part. Likely stands for Luminosity, then.

photo

"HSV" is an industry standard: Hue Saturation Value.

However "HSB" is as well: Hue Saturation Brightness.

Keen decided on HSV.... which is less readable/understandable ... on par with them ;)

photo
photo

Bump- I know marek only likes to use 3 colours for building his ships ( blue + white or red + white ), but some of us are a little more creative and would like to be able to save our custom colours without having to go to the length of making colour chart grids we have to spawn in when required...

photo

What I'd really like, aside from extra Custom Color slots, would be Gloss and Contrast sliders for part details.

Gloss gives it a metallic sheen

Contrast increases the emphasis on the details of the parts.

Max Gloss and Contrast would make it look like Hyaku Shiki style shining Gold/Silver/etc.

photo

Everything is glossy or matt already depending on which artist modelled it or the texture used ( yay for inconsistency ); a slider would be interesting but that's getting a little OTT really as you can't see the texture from more than a few meters away.

Contrast on parts to make the details pop... that feels like an overall art style kind of alteration rather than something you can adjust via a slider ( like Borderlands art style for example ). I'd be surprised if that's even possible without an awful lot of work- Keen seem to be more interested in just adding plain textures that are badly implemented as they cover every inch of the block models, not just the parts that makes sense ( carbon fibre pipes... yeesh ), I doubt they'd dedicate the time to something as indepth as making certain parts of all 100+ blocks 'pop' a bit more- which wouldn't be visible from more than a meter, again...

What we've been wanting for years and would add real value to ship building are metallic colours; Gold, Silver and Copper/Bronze. Very simple, easy to implement, and would allow us to make blinged-out creations- but no, red + white stripes or blue + white stripes, that's all that Marek will allow...

photo

Gloss/Matte can be adjusted using a texture mask effect. Really quite simple.

Same thing with Contrast. Like editing an image in photoshop.

With these filters you could make any kind of shiny metal color. Gold, Silver, Sapphire, Ruby, FireRed, LeafGreen, etc.

Make washed out drab colors for military vessels, shiny neon colors for commercial transports. It'll be perfect.

photo
photo

Well, I guess we'll have to pay if we want those metallic colours- gold, silver and many other fancy armour textures/colours added as paid-DLC to update 1.192.

One is less than impressed...

photo

You can get nice metallic colors using the Retro Future armor skin. I cannot remember if that was DLC though...

photo

That's DLC; I and several others were asking for metallic colours / a better colour pallet for YEARS and Marek just used it as another excuse for selling DLC. Armour skins and patterns are one thing, but basic metallic colours being added to the game so we can build things to actually look like they're made of metal and not some dull grey alternative? Nope, that was too much to expect apparently- that costs extra, GG.

photo

You are confusing "Color". Are you sure you know what you are asking for? What you describe is wanting more "texture or surface" materials... because you can already setup ANY "Color" you want right now.

However without the texture normals to give a sheen or reflection, then its just a color.

It would have been nice of them to make the "Silver" and "Gold" textures, colorable. Then you could come up with a color to apply what looks like bronze, brass, polished aluminum, and the sort.

photo

Spare me your semantics, Frigidman, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

photo

Still, you can have any color you want. Frigidman has a point: your complaint is about the unavailability of textures. (And no, it isn't merely an issue of semantics; the difference is significant.) Textures don't affect game play, so Keen is playing by the rules that they established: DLC will only ever consist of cosmetic items.

Personally, I too would prefer armor "skins" not be locked behind DLC, because (presumably) that would mean that modders could add additional skins. But since they are DLC, we cannot. So I agree, it sucks.

Regardless, your postscript (and related discussion) is complaining that a cosmetic item is locked behind DLC. That is not a valid complaint.

The body of your original issue report, I fully agree with. It would be fantastic if there were several additional rows for colors. There is a "palette" mod out there that provides the ability to save and store different color configurations. I haven't used it yet, but it's a great idea. I'd love for Keen to implement something like that.

photo

Nice of a Spammer to show up.

Keen still needs to add a way to 'report post'.

photo

Yeah, I was looking for a way to do that. Or report the account. Couldn't find a way to do either. Looks like Kuame Mcguire is another spammer account.

photo

And another spammer. Wonder when a "Report Spam" button will ever show up on this forum.

photo

Keen literally don't give a shit about anything we say, unless it's to help the game/give them DLC ideas. They have no one keeping an eye on the site for technical issues or spammers, racist abuse, troll comments, arguments etc etc.

Only way I've managed to get any kind of reaction out of them was to send an email and even then they just shrugged their shoulders and did nothing to help when I had an issue with someone ( re: adding an option to change speed measurement units which resulted in a massive argument, for some reason ).

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file