Inter-server jump network

Marvin Megavolt shared this feedback 4 years ago
Submitted

Okay, preface: I'm no software/game developer, but I know this suggestion is fairly out-there, so do understand I have no unrealistic expectations of this being added any time in the immediate future. However, I want to put this out here for consideration nonetheless. Now, on to the suggestion itself.

Some time ago, there was a mod on the workshop called "Server-Link". All it did was allow ships to be moved back and forth between two servers with the same mod list. Impressive, though limited. Now, while the mod has since vanished, it did give me an idea. Since that mod proved the networking software to move ships between servers was completely possible, I found myself thinking - "What if this could be done on a larger scale?" This concept is the end result of that brainstorm. Individual Space Engineers servers are limited to 30 players at once, and for good reason. This does restrict the size of the universe one can play in, and the scale of player organizations, conflicts, and so on that can form. However, with the Server-Link mod providing its signature server-bridging netcode, what if servers could house some kind of large structures - call them "Jumpgates" or whatever. These structures, presumably made using specific functional blocks requiring power, would basically allow players to travel to other servers with Jumpgates, with their ships, inventory, Space Credit balance and all. Naturally, Gates would only allow jumps between servers with compatible mod lists. Furthermore, I imagine Gates being able to whitelist or blacklist servers, or require a password to jump to, to regulate travel. This could possibly be expanded by allowing players to bring their factions onto other servers, with a shared reputation and so on across all servers said faction has a presence on. I envision the interface for a Jumpgate as being a sort of star map, where every "solar system" is a server. Ultimately, the idea would be to expand the scale of the Space Engineers universe while simultaneously sidestepping the limitations of individual servers, and thus allow much larger scales of player organizations, conflicts, community interaction, and emergent play in general, without most of the hassle of typical MMO-type games. In essence, every server linked to the public would become a shard within a massive multiplayer universe.

Once again, I don't expect this to be added any time soon even if it is feasible, but I think it was worth sharing this idea. The technology is definitely there on some level, though doubtless it would need significant expansion to make anything resembling this possible. I hope this attracts some consideration at the least. In the meanwhile, thank you so much for your excellent game and continued development thereof, Keen. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the future.

Attached file is a loose concept of how I imagined the "star map" Jumpgate server-select UI could look.

Replies (1)

photo

Id imagine this would be possible for going from one private/offline world to another one.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file