Need help w/ Space Engineers Crash to Black Screen of Death at or shortly after World Load

Jinto shared this bug 3 months ago
Need More Information

Hello, I hope you are having a fine work day,

My wife and I have been playing Space Engineers, and recently her client causes repeated and consistent computer crashes when loading a game world. At times it crashes almost as soon as the world loads in, and at times it takes a few minutes, or even a few hours. But given enough time, and every game session she enters ends with a Black Screen of Death requiring a complete system reboot.

Before I go through what we have tried so far, I will note that I have the most recent logs named:

VRageRender-DirectX11_20240123_183833.txt & SpaceEngineers_20240123_183828200.txt

Some background, (I will try to be brief as I reasonably can)

We are running identical hardware, and my game never has this issue, where as hers is consistent and ongoing

Hardware:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF 3.61 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor (I suspect that is the standard anymore.)

GPU is an nVidia 3060 w/ 12gb of dedicated GPU Ram

OS is Win11, and it is up to date with DX12

We have attempted several troubleshooting items already, including:

- Verifying Steam Files

- Clearing any Steam launch options (There were none listed)

- Clearing the SpaceEngineers.cfg from AppData\Roaming

- Clearing the ShadersCache folder from AppData\Roaming

- Verifying DX12 is up to date

- Verifying Windows is up to date

- Running in Win8 Compatibility Mode

- Installing legacy DX redistributable files alongside DX12 (The installer of which claimed to contain DX11)

- Uninstalling SE outright, and deleting all appdata folders and files before reinstalling SE fresh

- We checked the GPU temperature in BIOS and it was well within norms

Some other behavioral information:

- To be clear, this has been a consistent problem with Space Engineers, and we're not seeing similar behavior with other games

- This behavior is only on my wife's computer, and not my own at all, yet they are identical hardware, and the basic software (OS, primary updates, etc.) are the same. (There are of course differences in individual preferences, but broad strokes they are the same.)

- This crash behavior occurs no matter what sort of world she loads--joining a game hosted on my client, creating her own world on her computer, mods, no mods, etc.

- The attached logs were from the most recent crash, which occurred almost immediately upon entering a newly created world (Display shows new world, and then black screen occurs in under 1 second.) This new world involved no mods whatsoever, and was not using experimental mode.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

- Jinto

Replies (2)

photo

Hello!

Thank you for contacting us. Since this is a bug report, I'm moving your ticket to our support page, where our QA team will take care of you.

Kind Regards,

Keen Software House

photo

Hello, Jinto!

Thank you for writing to us and we sincerely apologize for the issue that occurred.

After reviewing the logs, we did not find any exception errors that could cause the game to crash. However, it appears that the game couldn't locate the Config (.cfg) file. This can be resolved by copying the SpaceEngineers.cfg file from the \AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers folder on your device and pasting it into the same folder on your wife's device.

Furthermore, before launching the game, please ensure that the WIN 8 compatibility mode for Space Engineers is disabled.

After making these changes, launch the game and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the latest log file. If possible, include the Windows Event Viewer log as well as when the game crash occurred.

To get the Windows Event Viewer log, please open the Event Viewer (from the start menu, type Event Viewer). In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs, Application, and send the top “.NET Runtime” error from Application: SpaceEngineers.exe. (please see attached image).

To do this right, please follow these steps:

1) Select the correct file on the left side (Application)

2) Select first the .NET runtime error from the top (using default ordering)

3) Copy the large bottom text and send it to us.

Please Note: make sure that the info is from the Application: SpaceEngineers.exe

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello again, and thank you for taking the time to answer our concerns.

So, I have followed your previous instructions.

But I need to clarify something:

The config file and Windows compatibility mode were NOT the problem. They were part of our troubleshooting process.

I made reference to those items to indicate things we've tried, as a matter of narrowing the scope of the possible problem. We have already restored the deleted files by using Steam's file integrity tool, and removed compatibility mode.

The crashes have persisted, and we looked into the Windows Event Viewer log as you instructed.

Unfortunately there is no .net Runtime error for the issue at hand. I have included a screenshot. The only .net Runtime sourced events occurred in 2023. I have a screenshot of this, along with the date/time stamp of the SpaceEngineers and VRage logs to indicate when the last crash was.

I did note that there were errors just AFTER the crash timeframe. Again, Screenshots are enclosed.

The following text is taken from an error that MOST APPROXIMATES the time of the crash. It isn't what you've asked for, but since I don't have what you're asking for, it's the next best thing I can provide. It probably won't be any help, but I'm providing it just in case you might find it useful.

--------------------

1. Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2506, time stamp: 0xdef1fe51
    Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2715, time stamp: 0xc95a35c0
    Exception code: 0x8898008d Fault offset: 0x000000000011b63d
    Faulting process id: 0x0x1D14
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA4F27480B63DE
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll Report Id: 8c9d90ef-442a-4e01-8919-6491c890fda3
    Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

--------------------

I'm providing the most recent crash logs, as well, and look forward to whatever next steps you want us to take.

Thanks,

- Jinto

photo

Hello, Jinto!

Thank you for providing new logs and additional information.

We apologize that none of the previously suggested workarounds resolved the issue for you.

While inspecting the latest log, we found an exception error: SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x887A0005], which is typically a hardware-related issue rather than the game, that could be caused by GPU overheating/overclocking or PCI Port malfunctions.

To resolve this, kindly try the following workaround:

• On your wife's PC, open Device Manager > Display Adapters > Nvidia GPU > right-click > update driver > click on "Search automatically for drivers" to check for driver updates.
  • Launch the game and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, follow these additional steps:

• Check GPU/system temps/voltages with something like HWMonitor.
  • If there are temperature issues, ensure GPU and system fans are clean and running.
  • Switch GPU driver settings to high-performance (not quality/high-quality settings).
  • If the GPU/system is overclocked, revert to stock clock speeds.
  • Remove, clean, and re-seat the GPU and connections, or try putting the GPU in another slot.

After completing these steps, if the 'Crash to Black Screen of Death' still occurs, please send us the latest log files.

Kind regards,

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Hello again, my apologies on the delay, as I've been at work.

Okay, so we tried the steps you last outlined. We even swapped the GPUs between our two computers, (again, same hardware specs,) and her computer continues to BSOD and mine does not. HWMonitor found nothing out of sorts, (voltage, temps, etc. all look good.) although another CUPID utility suggested that there were motherboard drivers to update, which she did, but that didn't help either.

I've included the latest log files,

thank you for your continued help and patience.

photo

Hey, just checking in, is there anything useful in those last logs? Do y'all need me to provide any other sort of telemetry reports from my wife's computer?

Thanks,

- Jinto

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file