Piston exerts force using connected blocks, but only in certain directions (non-axis)

John M shared this bug 2 years ago
Reported

So, if you go into a world, and build a line of light armor blocks, put a piston parallel to it directly next to said line, and then add a couple of blocks to the head of that piston, it starts to exert a "force" and will start spinning grids or pushing them forward (klang drive)

(non-axis)

the thing is, it only affects pistons, hinge blocks and rotors dont do the same thing

i looked VERY close at the blocks, pistons are a few pixels too far offset to a diagonal corner

(see attached) and thus circumvent the block size fix you had done to reduce said "phantom force" issues

and if its not that the piston head is offset, it will push these blocks into each other, for some reason, but i would try to look at offset

i have a world i am uploading to the workshop to share about the dangers of how pistons and rotors could be misused and how they could be used properly to achieve advanced constructs that end up being more performance friendly than using multiple dedicated grids (using fewer welders, drills, grinders, etc. what certain features do, or at least appear to do, what to avoid when setting offsets, ways to use certain blocks but might still be dangerous)

you cant patch everything, but i hope smaller things like this (the piston thing) get patched, because it makes people much more comfortable with adding these kinds of grids to their creations, improves server sim speed, and also reduces headache

I cant upload the world file, but theres a workshop link

update: yes its offset to a diagonal corner by a bit too much, as certain directions do NOT create a force on blocks the same way (the original 2 pictures were on a landing gear setup, the final one, ...218.jpg, is literally sitting still on its own, and "playing nice")

at the very least, we need some sort of texture change to indicate what sides need to be showing to avoid something bad

it affects one direction more than the other, but both directions are affected

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2455865506

Best Answer
photo

Hello, John!

Thank you for reporting this. I really appreciate the world you provided and also the information to go alongside this - It was a big help! :) I have successfully reproduced and reported the issue.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

Replies (3)

photo

Update: it affects all grids, the diagonal that is opposite that which has a terminal on the large grid version is affected (colliding)

the side with the terminal is fine

however, small grids dont have this indication

photo

it can also be noted that if you were to move the piston head or the entire piston back a tiiiiiny amount, it would make the surface flush when retracted, but this would mostly be a QoL change than the piston being offset *just* enough to cause rather violent forces

photo

Hello, John!

Thank you for reporting this. I really appreciate the world you provided and also the information to go alongside this - It was a big help! :) I have successfully reproduced and reported the issue.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

Leave a Comment

Attach a file