This object is in archive! 

Framerate capped at 16 FPS

Johnny Hurst IV shared this bug 3 years ago
Won't Fix

Haven't played in a while, so not sure if this popped up because of a recent update or something, but Space Engineers keep randomly capping my framerate at 16 FPS. Just today, I launched Space Engineers, and it was automatically capped. After restarting the game, it went back to my normal 120 FPS. I launched a creative world to design a ship, and it ran fine for ~30 minutes. Then it lagged, and my frames dropped and I was suddenly capped at 16 FPS again. Restarted once more, and back to normal. Went back to playing, and again, after ~30 minutes, I got a random lag spike and was capped at 16 FPS once more. Never had a problem like this before. Messing with settings doesn't seem to do anything, and it's a little annoying to have to restart constantly. The frame cap persists even into the main menu as seen in one of the screenshots. The framerate returns to 120 FPS if I move the mouse to a different program, but the instant I mouse back over to Space Engineers, it immediately returns to 16 frames.

Replies (2)

photo

Hello, Johnny!

Sorry that you're experiencing this issue. Is it possible that you can attach a log when this occurs? That way, we can have a look at it.

You can access your log files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.

I would also suggest the following steps, it may be that a graphics driver update may help but if you could try all of the below and hopefully one of these will sort the issue for you.

• Verify your game files in Steam
  • Right click on Space Engineers in Steam Library → Properties → Local Files → Verify Integrity of Game Files

/bfSnH0rGoN-NgctSWBJN3LfvWZvgnfye9BrPgucxV0n8TDpNc-7yZYwSifdRXyl1quu20KGUNmHzSf6VGRbhWS4a_EYn2MclxJSOz6eVarmz-fhTWVaofVOAVZN_l_leF9dgQ5GF

• Delete SpaceEngineers.cfg file
  • It means your game configuration will be deleted
  • You can access your SpaceEngineers.cfg by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers.
  • Delete ShaderCache folder
  • Back up your whole Space Engineers Roaming folder and delete it
  • Restart Steam
  • Reinstall VC Redist 2017
  • Update graphic drivers
  • Reinstall the game
  • Make sure your operating system is fully updated

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

I have done everything you recommended except reinstalling the game (as that would take forever and I would rather avoid it unless absolutely necessary.) and am currently checking to see if the problem persists. In the meantime, here is the log file as requested. (Edit: Same problem, still randomly dropping to a cap of 16 FPS after ~30 minutes. Currently reinstalling.)

photo

Hello, Johnny!

What was the outcome after the reinstall? Did this make a difference for you?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Apologies for the late response, but unfortunately, the problem still persists. This last time, the frame drop occurred upon me turning off my jetpack and magnetizing to the armor blocks of the ship I was building at ~30 m/s. I then restarted, and couldn't get it to trigger again, so it seems to be random. It has also triggered even when I just launch the game and leave it sitting on the main menu for a while. The only consistency seems to be that it always triggers within ~30 minutes.

photo

Hello, Johnny!

I see that you're still having issues. A few things if that is ok. Could you please supply a copy of your .cfg file?

Are you using any mods at all in-game when this occurs? Finally, could you also please supply a copy of the save where this has occurred for you?

• You can access your save files by typing %appdata% into your Windows search bar and you will be redirected to the hidden Roaming folder. After that just follow: \Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves. There should be a folder with your SteamID and your saves.

Please zip the file and attach it here. If you are having difficulty attaching files you can optionally use Google Drive. When sharing a google drive link please make sure it is set to be downloadable by anyone with the link.

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Absolutely zero mods, none before I reinstalled, and none after the the reinstall. The save file is attached, though, as mentioned before, it can occur while just sitting at the main menu without loading a save.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gqN83yTP34zndYlDr55WuW1_VjtPb3ZR?usp=sharing < Save

photo

Hello, Johnny!

Are you still experiencing this issue on the latest 198.024?

Kind Regards

Laura, QA Department

photo

Hello, Engineer!

Because there is no new comment from you, and we are unable to reproduce the issue on our own, I will close this thread now as outdated.

If you or any other player will experience this issue again, please make a new thread and provide all needed info there.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

Replies have been locked on this page!