Ore Detector Scripting Support

Michael Quinn shared this feedback 3 years ago
Submitted

As it stands in the game currently, Ore Detectors are functionally useless from a scripting perspective. The only things you can do with an Ore Detector with scripts over any other functional block is change its range and whether it is broadcasting over antennae. This is a shame, as I would love to write a script allowing a drone to scout out asteroids for ore deposits, which isn't possible now. Please add scripting support for Ore Detectors so that players can get the exact positions and types of Ore Veins that are nearby.

Replies (2)

photo

I need this! On the long run it would be a dealbreaker for me if this will not be implemented.

photo

Makes sense. A bit like the change KSH just made to the air vent to enable the water mod to iterate from version 2.0 to 3.0, which is a massivei improvement, completely changing the way that water is played / fought over and designed for.

The Ore detector was included very early in the game (first version? someone correct me), and hasn't had any changes since then. It could really use a bit of a functionality make over, with an eye to future development, as there's also a need for more complexity in the survival ore gathering / refining / manufacturing dynamic (there are mods for this, but the base game survival is laughably easy, and needs the ability to be scaled in difficulty). Reworking ore detection to multiple detectors, tiered depending on resource availability, power draw, size and weight will add some of that complexity in preparation for a resource dynamic overhaul.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file