Jump Drive can jump you into gravity fields, Voxel and grids

Kuroshi shared this bug 5 years ago
Outdated

A far enough jump seems to be able to jump you to any target, even in g-fields etc.

As far as I can see, the problem here is object that are not rendered in for the client who activates the jump, as I was not able to reproduce this from smaller distances like 500km. I recommend using a few Jump Drives for at least a 5Mm Jump into alient Planet or its Moon to reproduce it, as this seems to have worked the best for myself

Best Answer
photo

After some talking and some reading, I found out this issue has to do with sync distance. As I was told, Jump Drives use Raycast to determine if objects are in the way. Since these raycasts are client-side (Or appear to be), Anything (except maybe rendered planets) will be ignored

Replies (6)

photo

I did this once by not having enough range for the jump to an asteroid near a planet. Turned out in 0.2g of earths gravity.

photo

I had this happen on a DS to me just last night, grids had to be cut and pasted... It was a 700 km jump, ship isn't all that massive (1700 blocks, mainly combat oriented). I have no idea how to reproduce it. I was jumping to a GPS I had jumped to numerous times before, only this time I wound up with the nose of my ship intersecting with my base, all clanged to hell.

-edit- This (in my instance) was apparently the result of a torch bug... @Kuroshi are you running Torch?

https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/jump-drive-collision-prevention-not-working-ds-crash

photo

I know that jumping into grids can be related to torch, and I am running torch. However, this also happened on Keens official servers aswell as to Planets, which are not effected by concealment

photo

After some talking and some reading, I found out this issue has to do with sync distance. As I was told, Jump Drives use Raycast to determine if objects are in the way. Since these raycasts are client-side (Or appear to be), Anything (except maybe rendered planets) will be ignored

photo

On a third note: The torch issue that caused jumping into grids was fixed today. Update concealment if you haven't yet, and it will no longer happen

photo
photo

Updating concealment didn't fix the issue at least on my server.

photo

Something happened to me yesterday. I was connected to my local dedicated server.

I had a maker on the surface of the moon and jump drived to it.

It was more than 2000 KM maybe 2600 KM. And it spawned me literally inside the moon.

When I moved out of the moon (using thrusters) it crashed my ship as soon as I got out.

photo

Hello, Engineers!

Thank you for your reports. We are aware of this issue and it will be worked on.

Kind Regards

Keen Software House: QA Department

photo

Same here, if you want to check on your server "Keen FR #4", ship is named "dindoo" and is now inside the ground :x

Leave a Comment

Attach a file