Feature request: Holographic free building

Woogoo W shared this feedback 3 years ago
Submitted

I've been getting back into Space Engineers recently. I used to always play in survival mode and as a result most of my blueprints aren't very complex or good looking. One thing I decided to do, is whenever I want to build a new ship or station, it's probably a good idea to make it in creative and take a blueprint. While that works fine in most situations, it is a little disruptive for game flow especially in multiplayer.

Here is what I propose.

New mode for the projector: Holographic blueprint builder.

This mode allows you to build holographic grids and save them as blueprints. All creative functions like line/plane and symmetry are allowed in this mode. Your holographic grid will appear solid to you, but like a projected hologram to other players. No physics or animations obviously. Other engineers can enter the mode with you and help you build as long as they have access to your projector. The projector in this mode has a few more functions, save and clear, save, and clear building area. Any clear command is disabled if there are other engineers connected, but you can save a blueprint at any time.

This is a rough idea of what the feature should be, but ideally it should allow you to freebuild a new design without having to leave the server you are in.

Replies (3)

photo

Yeah I just posted something really similar, not seeing this post. Totally agree, building should be more streamlined and intuitive. We should be able to build in a scaled down build mode that places projected blocks that can then all be saved as a blueprint to weld up. It could be done within a functional block that acts like a computer dedicated to an autocad style program that puts the player into this build mode simulated inside the functional block. It could just be grids along the x y and z planes in different windows even.

photo

The option to save back a blueprint from a projector would be a nice feature on its own. Anyways there were times when I missed a way to design a ship in survival with all freedoms without constructing it at the same time.

photo

Been a while since I checked this out. I recently talked with another player about this idea and I thought I would check back in on it. This kind of feature would be very useful for build planning without having to leave your current game. It wouldn't make sense to have to leave your friends in a session to plan a build, especially as the host.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file